Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

FIXED - Documents Shared as "Can View" can be copied by the shared user.

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
edited July 2018 in Data management
I just tested with my second account and I can copy workspaces when they are shared as can view. I can even copy them straight out into the public space in just a few clicks. Even worse, copy to public is what would most likely be the case if someone on a free account wanted to copy a large private doc shared with them. 

I don't think this is right. If I share with somebody as "can view" I expect them to be only able to view the document or view and comment "Not Copy Workspace". To me this is limiting Onshape's collaboration ability by restricting the share to only full trusted associates.

Do others feel the same, or is this just me? 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Comments

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Fully agree +1 for noticing, What took so long? This becomes an issue with using Onshape to collaborate ITAR controlled documents.
  • Options
    matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    _Dave_ said:
    Fully agree +1 for noticing, What took so long? This becomes an issue with using Onshape to collaborate ITAR controlled documents.
    Should anything ITAR even be put into OnShape at this point?  I don't think the DoD has given the OK to use cloud services for ITAR projects. 

It looks like you actually brought this up last September as well:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1630/shared-documents-security

Any progress on this OnShape?
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    We need to hear from Onshape on this issue if correct. This would rule out collaboration from MPOV, I will only send jpg or pdf rather than risk this.
    Shame because onshape is a great way to fully view a 3D model but NOT if by doing so the person you share with can take all your design work for free and then move forward using that design. I think a jpg image will be safer for now!
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @brucebartlett is right, this has been discussed from time to time but it's still the same as it has been earlier.
    We need full control over shared stuff:
    - can edit
    - can view
    - can take measure
    - can copy&share forward (if possible these should be two separate things)

+ possibility share just part of document

I would like also to see all the time the participants 'letters' on top bar so I remember that I'm working on shared document even if collaborators are offline.
    Offline collaborators letters could be greyed out.

And user should be noted when someone follows you.

And we really need a simple text chat (+voice if easy to implement), commenting is not suitable for this use.
    I know there are loads of free chats but if I take 15 min to go through something in 3d model with customer/supplier I'm not going to use that time to ask them to install same chat that I have. I don't like to have phone conversation active all the time.  

what else?

//rami
  • Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @brucebartlett - we are aware of this issue and are working on fixing it.  As @3dcad mentioned, there are other permissions that play into this as well, things like measuring, printing (drawings), exporting, and downloading.  What are your thoughts on these and how do you imagine them to break down into a useful set of permissions that would allow you to get your work done?

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

Should be simple check boxes when you go to share:

View (implied)

Measure [X]

Copy [X]

Edit [X]

Each successive permission implies all the ones above it, so maybe a radio button

or a slider:

Private - View Only - Measure - Copy - Edit

|

• Options
    @abefeldman
    I would go for full list of choices and let user create custom share profiles for easy and quick sharing. 
    //rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO

Should be simple check boxes when you go to share:

View (implied)

Measure [X]

Copy [X]

Edit [X]

Each successive permission implies all the ones above it, so maybe a radio button

or a slider:

Private - View Only - Measure - Copy - Edit

|

@abefeldman, @tom_scarince 's list looks pretty good.

I think the most important thing here is Private Doc's, normally in the Paid Subscription need the flexibility to be shared around without the risk of people copying the whole workspace. I'd like to be able to share people into view a doc as if they had come around to my office but once they leave there is nothing they can take with them with them. To me, I am now very caution with share of material which is of confidential nature, however the strength of Onshape is in this sharing ability. Looking forward to some progress in this area.
  • Options
    Looks good to me also. I'd just like to add that the follow me mode should be allowed in all the permission options not just edit.
    _Dave_
  • Options
    I just checked with the new release and you are still are able to copy workspace on shared private documents, I am hoping this will be addressed soon as it is limiting sharing to only those I have complete confidence with. I currently have manufacturers I want to share into a workspace for quoting and input on design however you don't want these people copying 100's of hours of work in a few click's, just too tempting, therefore Onshapes not giving me this veiwing feature....... Great article here from SolidSmack highlighting the benefits feature of cloud based CAD, Onshape's nearly there but not quite.

When paying for a professional account I think it's reasonable to expect to be able to fully lock down your workspaces when shared so they can't be copied. You should only be able to copy workspace when the  Can edit & share is checked. Export should be allowed at the lower levels but not copy workspace. 

• Options
    I think simplifying your request as Bruce as done would get an response from OS sooner than a complex request. Bruce's main issue (copying a view only shared doc) should be addressed asap and enhancements can come along later.
  • Options
    @_Dave_ Yes, I agree - but if we cut our requests to small bits, Onshape will have difficulties on building the base and background mechanisms to support our future requests.

In my opinion urgent requests should be made through ticket system so that they get filed immediately but here in discussion forum we should also paint the future without any concern how/when Onshape can cope with our ideas.

What are your ultimate thoughts for share control?
    //rami
  • Options
    @3dcad I agree that is how it should work but I've seen many issues drag out forever such as document organization. I just felt that if we were more unified we could get a response to the root issue of the OP in a timely manner.
    _Dave_
  • Options
    michael_capromichael_capro OS Professional Posts: 4
    I'm a little behind on this issue, like a Rat's ars. But it just dawned on me, I share "view only", the guy I share with "Exports" all my work into his personal CAD, and poof... He has the whole thing and the kitchen sink. Of course, I had him sign an NDA, but what if he shares with someone else? I'm not even happy with  a NDA.

View only should be that, any attempt at 'copy' or 'export' should be prohibited. The 'share' should also expire after 2 days or a setting box value. 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    @michael_capro As of Tuesday last week, Can View only allows view and measure. You can expire the share at any time by pressing the little x in the share dialog. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Onshape thanks for listening and addressing this issue. It's now clear when sharing a private file as view only that this can not be copied by the shared person. I still think there is some room for improvement in this space (i.e no copy/export and on an editable share) but at least now we have the a basic's in place .
  • Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @brucebartlett we're working on that as well, stay tuned!

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    great @abefeldman

Another request I have is is to only share a specific version or branch. I.e. save a version called "V1 for quotation" and share this with vendors but not allow them to see the other work that is taking place on that doc.
  • Options
    song_jaybisong_jaybi OS Professional, Developers Posts: 17 ✭✭
    great @abefeldman

Another request I have is is to only share a specific version or branch. I.e. save a version called "V1 for quotation" and share this with vendors but not allow them to see the other work that is taking place on that doc.

This will make share system become too complex. I think..
  • Options
    Share system needs some degree of complexity to be useful. Ultimately share system should have configuration profiles but to begin with I would go with Bruce's idea.
    My main targets for share would be
    - collaborator = full access
    - sales = no-sign-in full read access
    - vendor / customer = no-sign-in limited access
    - end user = no-sign-in very limited access

It is not convenient to make copies just to be able to share a tab with vendor / customer. Vendors only need to see the part they should deliver and most of time customer should only see the final design in simplified environment. 

To be able to use shared model as part of end-user documentation we should be able to create special named views and strictly control how it's showed to visitor. 
    //rami
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I am a bit late this party and OS has made changes to the sharing options. However, where is the View and Comment? In my previous life working in the special machine tool industry, I would have loved to share a design review version (only that version and only specific items in a document) with my customer. However, I would want him/her to leave comments specific to the version I shared with them and not see the Main or other versions.

Therefore, Onshape is still missing 1) commenting on versions (no other edits, just comments), 2) a View and Comment option, 3) private only for shared documens (therefore could not be moved into public space), and 4) part/tab specific sharing of a document. Without these 4 items, I would have used the old fashioned method of making a set of prints or pdf files to get a design review sign-off with a customer. I would not have shared directly from OS, which is a shame since a customer could do a much more thorough review by looking at assemblies and parts from any angle and any magnification level.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Hi Brian,

My issue was fixed. Onshape were straight onto it for me.  If you share now as "view only" with private documents they can not be copied. 

To add comments to a versions you will have to branch of that version, I didn't think that was a bad option as then you can still still the history in time of when comments are added. 
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    Another great option is to create a new document and either insert the parts of interest into an assembly or derive them into a part studio, both by linked documents. Then if you share this with view only, the user you are sharing with cannot see the feature list since the parts are being linked in. Having said this, you're right - there is no view with comment sharing option yet but more granular sharing permissions are frequently requested and we're aware of the need.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

My issue was fixed. Onshape were straight onto it for me.  If you share now as "view only" with private documents they can not be copied. 
    I have not tried this, as I am still working through how I will roll out OS this semester to my students. If it is shared as "view only" does that mean that it must stay in the receiving  person's private documents? If so, then one of my points is moot. However, what if the document is too large for a free user to put in their private documents? Then a customer who does not have the pro level could not view the document you share. I still stand by my other points, as yours and Noa's recommendations are just bandaid work-arounds instead of real solutions. Sorry, just the way I see it. 
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Is it possible to edit the title of the post?  As the initial issue has been fixed it is currently a little alarming / unfair to onshape!

Cheers,
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @brian_brady if you are using Onshape for classroom use, then you and all your students can sign up for our free Education Plan. It gives you unlimited private documents and so you'll never run into any of these problems. Check it out at onshape.com/edu.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    noa said:
    @brian_brady if you are using Onshape for classroom use, then you and all your students can sign up for our free Education Plan. It gives you unlimited private documents and so you'll never run into any of these problems. Check it out at onshape.com/edu.
    I understand that and will do that, but that does not fix the issue for others who share with a customer or vendor who does not use OS for design but needs to review and approve designs that are made in OS.

When in the machine tool industry, we would hold an internal design review (a good time to make a version that allows comments to be added from all interested parties) before making fixes and changes and then sending the design to our customer to review before completion of the design. This would be a good time to make another version that can be commented on and sharing ONLY THAT VERSION with the customer as "view and comment only." Not all customers are trustworthy, so the shared document would need to remain private to only that individual (or individuals) could access from their private documents. The need to make it public due to space concerns would have put our IP at risk. However, if they only had the free plan because they only needed to view our documents for review, they would not be able to access the document if it was larger than their allowable free space.
  • Options
    Is it possible to edit the title of the post?  As the initial issue has been fixed it is currently a little alarming / unfair to onshape!

Cheers,
    Owen S
    I agree and tried to edit title when I saw people commenting on it yesterday. @lougallo is this possible?
  • Options
    The need to make it public due to space concerns would have put our IP at risk. However, if they only had the free plan because they only needed to view our documents for review, they would not be able to access the document if it was larger than their allowable free space.
    Space is not an issue when sharing doc's, I've shared doc's well over a GB with customers on the free plan, however they will run into trouble if they have more than 10 private doc's shared or created or have more than 5GB total.

https://www.onshape.com/cad-pricing