Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Pie Menus

Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 61 PRO
Would love to have customisable pie menus, like in NX or Blender.  This allow for really fast access to almost all the tools through just one or two shortcuts, and can access a tool quicker than a toolbar like 'S' is at the moment by just flicking the mouse to the correct section of the pie.

Being able to assign the pie menus to shortcuts including the mouse buttons would be great!  i.e., Shift+Ctrl + Left Click is Pie Menu A, Shift + Ctrl + Middle Click is Pie Menu B.  

Even better would be the ability to shortcut to specific setups of tools, like setting one of the shortcuts to 'Boolean Subtract with Keep Tools.'

Tagged:

Comments

• mbartlett21mbartlett21 Member Posts: 1,134 EDU
    Do you mean right-click drag?
    MB (I make FeatureScripts: view FS)
  • Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 61 PRO
    Er....isn't that rotate?
  • lougallolougallo Member, Administrator, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,519
    edited April 12
    @mbartlett21 that is SW that has that initialization of these...  Today we have the S key shortcuts... that is our solution today.  Have you used this?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Er....isn't that rotate?
    Not when you have Solidworks View settings, which is what I use.
    @lougallo
    Can I set one of the shortcuts to be isometric?
    That's what I used the right-click-drag for in Solidworks: views.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 1,307 PRO
    edited April 13
    Er....isn't that rotate?
    Not for us Multi-CAD users that changed that option on day 1 :smile:

I understand they may have done that to be more compatible with a touch pad on a laptop with no middle mouse button to depress.. But that should be the exception not the standard ;P

that being said, Bind the mouse gesture to the (not rotate) button (middle mouse for Onshape deafult, Right mouse for Solidworks bindings)

And also have a keyboard shortcut to allow touchpad users to use this, Maybe a three finger gesture?
  • lougallolougallo Member, Administrator, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,519
    @mbartlett21 No.. but Isometric is in the default right click menu when nothing is selected.
    I am going to move this over for more discussion before it is just up for voting.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers Posts: 456 ✭✭✭✭
    Another great tool for users who work several hours a day in Onshape is to get a mouse with configurable buttons, or even a 3D mouse

With the 3Dconnexion mouse you have the option to use a radial menu like the one you mention.

Actually, I have to update the configuration of my 3Dconnexion Spacepilot and CadMouse because with the latest driver updates now the radial menus can have no 4 but 8 options ;-)

Un saludo,                                                      C2i Change 2 improve                                   ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online? 
    Eduardo Magdalena                        Consulting Partner de Onshape                                                 Averigua a quién conocemos en común

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 1,307 PRO
    Another great tool for users who work several hours a day in Onshape is to get a mouse with configurable buttons, or even a 3D mouse

With the 3Dconnexion mouse you have the option to use a radial menu like the one you mention.

Actually, I have to update the configuration of my 3Dconnexion Spacepilot and CadMouse because with the latest driver updates now the radial menus can have no 4 but 8 options ;-)

Not everyone want's to buy a piece of expensive hardware for something that could be done in the host software :(

Also I got the 3Dconnection spacemouse mainly for that radial menu, but it would keep clearing it's configuration, or not detect chrome, can't remember exactly what the problem was, but after a few times setting it up I gave up on it. It would be better if it was integrated into the cad software, so it will be available at any computer you log into; rather than feeling handicap when you log in somewhere else. Isn't that part of OS's claim of professional cad anywhere on any device :)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,287 PRO
    I love my 3d mouse and have one on each computer I work - but I don't really use the radial menu, only predefined hotkeys and keyboard shortcuts.. But I do feel handicap on other computers while turning large models without 3d 'joystick', especially if viewing perspective.
    //rami
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers Posts: 456 ✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone want's to buy a piece of expensive hardware for something that could be done in the host software :(

Also I got the 3Dconnection spacemouse mainly for that radial menu, but it would keep clearing it's configuration, or not detect chrome, can't remember exactly what the problem was, but after a few times setting it up I gave up on it. It would be better if it was integrated into the cad software, so it will be available at any computer you log into; rather than feeling handicap when you log in somewhere else. Isn't that part of OS's claim of professional cad anywhere on any device :)
    I work mainly only with the standard mouse of 3Dconnexion. It cost about 100 $ and you can configure the radial menus to work with it.

Actually, I've just updated my mouse configuration. ;-)
    I have published it in an open GitHub repository. You can take a look here and if you have a 3Dconnexion Cadmouse you can download and test my configuration.
    https://github.com/Change2improve/C2i_3Dconnexion_On

You can see that there are a few macros to run a few tasks in Onshape only pressing a button:
    1. New Sketch + Normal view + Line
    2. New Sketch + Normal view + Center point circle
    3. New Sketch + Normal view + Center point rectangle
    4. New Sketch + Normal view + Corner rectangle
    Not only is it very useful with Onshape, in this GitHub repository you can see that there is also a specific section on the configuration adapted to Odoo, the open source ERP that we use in our company. 
    That simple configuration saves me a good amount of time that I can then spend in the Onshape forums ;-)
    Un saludo,                                                      C2i Change 2 improve                                   ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online? 
    Eduardo Magdalena                        Consulting Partner de Onshape                                                 Averigua a quién conocemos en común

• Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 61 PRO
    @john_mcclary - thanks for that tip!  Didn't realise the SpaceMouse Radial Menu's were so capable - exactly what I'm looking for! (except being available on any machine, but will happily use for now!)