Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Scale of drawings

hansrudolfhansrudolf Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
Still experimenting with drawings. I have an assembly of  5 parts; largest dimension about 80 mm. Now when I create a drawing (by right clicking and selecting 'create drawing...', the assembly is drawn half size. But the room on the template would be more than sufficient for full size. What would happen if I would draw a really tiny thing? I cannot see any means to influence the scale of the drawing.

A second problem seems to be that I cannot make a drawing from a part, only from an assembly. Strange it seems, am I doing something wrong?

Regards, Hansrudolf

Comments

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Hi RMC on your part in the tree and you will see "make drawing from part" Yes the default seems to be scale 0.5 to alter RMC then click on properties, this brings up a scalebox on top left of screen where you can alter the scale to 1.0 for a scale of 1 to 1 , or indeed whatever you prefer.
  • christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    When in the drawing, highlight the view, right click, and then click on properties. This will give you an option to change the scale of the view.

When in a Part Studio, right click on the part name you want to create a drawing of. Should be on the lower left of the screen. This will give you an option to create a drawing of that part in the Part Studio.

Good Luck!
  • hansrudolfhansrudolf Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I suppose a lot of my problems come from the fact that I don't understand what my friendly helpers mean.

... RMC on your part in the tree... Is the tree the stack of lines beneat the cross? If yes, then it does not function.  There are six lines in the menu, but no 'make drawing'.

highlight the view... I don't know how to highlight a view. From other programs I know to draw a rectangle around it, but that only brings up a lot of brown lines and points. Right clicking has (almost) no effect then and does not give a context menu.

Regards, Hansrudolf
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @hansrudolf as for the tree, What is meant is the parts list along the leftside column. put just as easy is to actually right-Click the part in the graphics window and you can then select to make the drawing.
    edited September 2015

@hansrudolf  in below pic I meant that the scale will appear in top/left of the screen not the top/right.

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    hansrudolf, you can create drawing from part studio also for that right click on required part from works pace or part tree.you can see the "create drawing" option.By clicking that you can create the drawing.
    To change the scale right click on the drawing views then select properties.put the required scale value.

Many thanks to all. I can now change the scale, and also draw a part by clicking it in the workspace. What I still didn't find is the parts tree on the left side, or rather I see something in the assembly view, but I don't see the appropriate menu item. If I counted correctly, Narayan clicked on the fourth line from top. In my case this line is 'Fix', not 'Ceate drawing. The menu contains 10 lines totally.

How can I insert these nice screenshots?

Regards, Hansrudolf
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @hansrudolf the Menu used by Narayan in his example belongs to Parts studio :

The menu were you see "Fix" belongs to the assembly tab:

Regarding the images / video you see in the forums I believe that for taking screenshots most window users in the forum use a tool called Lighshot https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html as for the gif video I like licecap http://www.cockos.com/licecap/, but there are plenty of tools out there.

Ton insert an image/video in a post you can just drag and drop or use the insert image/file command.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    Now I see - most of the tree was always invisible on my screen! All is working now after enlarging the column. Regarding the screenshot programs I will try them tomorrow.
    Many thanks!
    Regards, Hansrudolf
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    hansrudolf,If you are searching for "create drawing" option for assembly then it can be find by right clicking the assembly tab.

You can insert both parts as well as assembly directly from drawing.

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    hansrudolf,if you double-click the view, also can change the scale

• jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    For everyone's information, we haven't yet implemented the ability to have a default scale for a model on a sheet, but we will eventually.  After that, new views will default to that scale (unless they're some form of child view whose scale is based on a parent view), and any views whose scale is different from the default will automatically get a scale note.  

Until the above is implemented, we will always choose a new view's scale to be a ratio which gives you an overall view height / width roughly 20% of the height / width of the sheet, and for now you must create and manage scale notes manually.