Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Getting rid of history in Free Plan?

nyholkunyholku Member Posts: 58 PRO
Hi, I know I can get rid of history (to conserve space) by creating a copy of the work space.

However I'm over 100 MB (in Free Plan) already so I cannot create a copy (to get under the 100 MB limit)! Kind of catch 22 eh?

Why not have a purge history command?

Comments

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @kustaa_2 , Make that document public and  after that make a copy and delete public one. If you are containing more than 10 document at that time if you want to make copy of  only one document then make all document public other than 9 Private Documents. After that make copy of that and delete public one.

• nyholkunyholku Member Posts: 58 PRO
    Of course, obvious in hind sight, thanks!

• juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    kustaa_2 said:
    Hi, I know I can get rid of history (to conserve space) by creating a copy of the work space.

However I'm over 100 MB (in Free Plan) already so I cannot create a copy (to get under the 100 MB limit)! Kind of catch 22 eh?

There have been discussions about this elsewhere on the forum, and I think it's been said that they are working on this in order to eliminate all of this copying and deleting.

However, not having history at all might be something to consider for the free plan users.  As a maker, history and branching isn't that important to me, but the 100MB limit is.  Collaboration isn't that important either, so what if free plan users didn't have that either?  I know these ideas are probably better off in the "Free plan" discussions located elsewhere on this forum, but I'd give up history and collaboration for 1GB of private space over the 100MB we have now.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
     As a maker, history and branching isn't that important to me, but the 100MB limit is.  Collaboration isn't that important either, so what if free plan users didn't have that either?  I know these ideas are probably better off in the "Free plan" discussions located elsewhere on this forum, but I'd give up history and collaboration for 1GB of private space over the 100MB we have now.
    I'm sure you are aware that free plan is like trial without time limits for the actual product. The main advantages Onshape has and other mcads doesn't are built-in history, branching and collaboration. 

You might wan't to re-think your suggestion before creating IR for voting :/  
    //rami
  • SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    kustaa_2 said:

There have been discussions about this elsewhere on the forum, and I think it's been said that they are working on this in order to eliminate all of this copying and deleting.

However, not having history at all might be something to consider for the free plan users.  As a maker, history and branching isn't that important to me, but the 100MB limit is.  Collaboration isn't that important either, so what if free plan users didn't have that either?  I know these ideas are probably better off in the "Free plan" discussions located elsewhere on this forum, but I'd give up history and collaboration for 1GB of private space over the 100MB we have now.

History is massively important to me as a maker, it would be a disaster if they removed it. Onshape have created the history problem themselves with the tiny private storage size so I hope they at least make it easier to manage in future without having to copy and delete workspaces. Or of course they could just do the logical thing to make it easier for everyone by allowing 5gb of storage for private or public as you choose. 
  • onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    It would be nice to be able to clear out history past a certain commit. But yeah, Onshape shot themselves in the foot with the tiny private storage size. Should have just left it the way it was. Turned history from one of Onshapes best features to one of Onshapes worst hinderance in one fell swoop.
  • Kustaa_1Kustaa_1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Hi, OP here. I just copied a workspace in order to reduce the size by getting rid of the history. A copy was created but it was exact same size as the original bringing me over the free plan limits. I my past experience copying has always reduce the model size by factor of ten or so, thus I'm a little suspicious as to what is going on...

Does this document have no history so it does not get reduced in size?

Have the rules changed (again) so that copying no longer gets rid of the history?

Is there some delayed action that shows the document size wrong for some time after copying?

• Kustaa_1Kustaa_1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Answering my question myself. Yes, there is a delayed action, after a couple of minutes the copy of the 56 MB document was reduced in size to mere 3 MB.

• develardevelar Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2015
    Should be a setting to preserve undo/reado history only after last commit. I am not interested in history between commits — it may be not convenient for all, but for me, as a professional software developer, it is logical and familiar. It is my responsibility to commit ("create snapshot" in terms of OnShape) often.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @develar There can be many designers working on same document, I think it would be very difficult to have any other history than continuous. Did you review under-the-hood-collaboration blog, it opens up Onshape background mechanism a bit. 
    //rami
  • develardevelar Member Posts: 15
    @3dcad Yes, I understand that history can be used (required) to implement collaboration. But it is implementation details — for example, history for previous commit could be preserved until there is an active sessions.

Anyway, I don't insist. Just want to delay that day, when no free space will be left (since hobbyist cannot just buy storage/pay, new account should be created in this case to overcome restriction and preserve old history).
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    1)Create public documents rather than private where practical.
    2) Copy workspace and delete original at regular intervals to reduce document size.
    3) Download to your harddrive as parasolid or step file when dormant but could be required at a later date for more design work.
    4) If you have a private document that will take you over 100MB when you copy the workspace, then make it public before copying, then remake it private once it is copied/resized.
    5) Delete all docs private or public that are of no further use as a good housekeeping exercise.

I am having no problem staying within the 100MB free plan limit using the above. If you are having problems then you need to buy a professional use plan as really you must be using Onshape in a commercial venture or be very protective of your own work/intellectual property IMO.