Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Select Midpoint vs. add point, add midpoint relation

SamSam Member Posts: 3
Is there a built-in way to select the midpoint of a line versus creating a line, then adding a point to it and adding a relation to that? 

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I find the current hover to find mid point user friendly when sketching in Onshape. However as I think about it I quite often will use the right click find mid point button in SW. The only time I can think I would use this in Onshape would be aligning lines horizontal to mid point (sure there are other).
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • michael_mahlermichael_mahler Member Posts: 1
    Bruce, I use midpoints a lot in SW to add a vertical or horizontal alignment to two different length lines.
  • Logan_5Logan_5 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • john_faracijohn_faraci Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    +1
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Logan_5
    @john_faraci

Midpoint inferencing was added to sketching a while ago.  Here is an example:

If this doesn't clear it up, could you describe in more detail the trouble you are having?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

Can you show some examples of how to create a midpoint relation....without creating a sketch point on the midpoint of the line? 
  • Logan_5Logan_5 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Jake_Rosenfeld, but @coleman pointed out the troubles that I have been having too.  It's not a terrible problem having to place a point on a line or start another line feature to grab the midpoint but more of an inconvenience.  It's an added step that doesn't seem necessary.  If the midpoint would wake up to allow clicking on it, that would be what we are looking for.

Thanks
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    sam, I find that when creating something midpoint works fine. But, when doing something like sticking a mid-point on horizontal, vertical or origin, I have to add a point first. It doesn't bother me any more. I still RMB and look for select midpoint, it's not there.

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    If Onshape developers are going to consider adding a means by which a mid point can be created between two existing points I recomend they NOT just satisfy the request as it was literally made, but look at the request a deeper level. 

Creation of point geometry can be very helpful in the design process, yet currently Onshape only supports point creation on existing geometry and can only sense curve end points, the "Mid Point" of lines and arcs, intersections of curves, plus vertical/horizontal alignment with surrounding geometry. Creating points at other (more abstract) locations requires the creation of supplimental geomtery with additional constraints

I seems logical that additional point creation methods should exist to faciltate more abstract point location creation. Here is what I think should be considered: 

1) Create point between two existing points.

Note, I did not say "create mid point between two existing points". While the mid point location maybe the most common location desired, this creation method should have provisions to specify the point as a percentage, or scalar distance between the points selected. Obviously the default method should be "Percentage" at value of "50%"; the mid point.

2) Create point on a curve.

While the existing point create function does this, it does not allow specifing a precise location along the curve's length. This method would allow the point location to be specified as a percentage (U, or S value), or scalar distance along its length*. Setting the value to 50% essentually makes it functionally equivant to what Onshape currently does when it senses the mid point.

* for non-linear curves the length value must fall between the curves end points. 

3) Create translated point.

This method is thrown in for completion. It is included to satisfy those who want a simple and direct way to create points relative to other points. This method should allow for either delta XY, or Rho/Theta data entry. (Note: Absolute locations with respect the the global coordinate systen are affect by selecting the "Origin" as the reference point.)

(I wouldn't be surprized if someone has already written a FeatureScript to do this. However, the functionality needs to fully integrated in the Sketcher which I do not think this is currently possible using FeatureScripting.) 

The above only applies to the 2D Sketch context, but it is applicable to when (if ever) Onshape allows 3D point creation in Part Studio and Assembly contexts.

• misterjtcmisterjtc Member Posts: 3
    I want to add a vertical/horizonal relation on these lines, and I don't think you can do it. Can someone correct me if I am wrong? I also don't want to place points on the centers of the lines because this sketch is used to create holes and therefore those construction points end up becoming holes.... I cant seem to find any other ways to select the midpoints on the lines either. I was hoping for at least a select midpoint or select other option but none seem to work...

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @misterjtc
    if you goal is to center them about the origin, select the origin and two diagonal points then use the midpoint constraint. Repeat for the other corners. This is similar to how the center point rectangle tool is constrained when it's created.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    This is when I can't catch a mid point. Trying to add a coincident constraint after the fact. I can catch the mid point if I draw a new point.

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

Here’s another way to do it

IF the highlighted face is centered on the origin, then use the Symmetric constraint

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Steve! great solution.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @GlenD

If you drag the point onto the edge, rather than using the coincident constraint, you will be able to inference to the midpoint:

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jake