Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Thin Feature and Open sketch extrusion

Marco_SavaryMarco_Savary Member Posts: 12
Is the Thin Feature and Open sketch is part of the Onshape direction?
I've tried creating a surface and thicken, but it does not thicken symmetrically. Not the same thing.

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Marco - you absolutely can thicken symmetrically.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Marco_SavaryMarco_Savary Member Posts: 12
    Oh yes. Cool. Can you hide the extruded surface?

Thin feature extrusion is part the OnShape direction?
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Oh yes. Cool. Can you hide the extruded surface?

Thin feature extrusion is part the OnShape direction?

Marco - the two parameters shown in the screen shot are the thickness each side. If these are equal, then it's a mid-plane thicken.
    Yes, the original surface can now be hidden (or deleted).

I hope this answers your question. :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Yes. I got that. I did on my part.

But I could not hide the surface. Where is the click to hide surface?
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    No, I don't get the same menu.

Marco - that's because you need to put the cursor over the surface listing as shown in my screenshot and not over the feature as shown in yours.
    Look closely at the two screen shots :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marco_Savary
    To expand the "Surfaces" portion of your parts list, you need to click on the sideways arrowhead so it becomes an inverted chevron and displays the surface or surfaces individually, as in @philip_thomas' screenshot 

Oh yes. My was down down below of the main tree. Got it. Thanks.

Since I have your attention how about a thin extrusion and open sketch extrusion.

• shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I guess that @Marco_Savary needs extrude to be perform in thin manner with some thickness in a single extrude feature without creating surfaces. Please see below example video from Creo (Pro-Engineer)

We have some methods available to create thin features using surface options but above provision could also be enhancement since it doesn't need to create any surface.
    Given that it works just fine in Onshape today, we will probably use the programming resources for other projects until you tell us that this is more important :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @philip_thomas Yes I agree with you. This may not be so important at this point of time since existing methods are working very nice. But I was just trying to elaborate what @Marco_Savary wanted to ask.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that it works just fine in Onshape today, we will probably use the programming resources for other projects ....
    +1
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @philip_thomas I hope all software would be developed this way.. +1 for your priority mechanism
    //rami
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Given that it works just fine in Onshape today, we will probably use the programming resources for other projects until you tell us that this is more important :)
    +1