Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ultimate collaboration Onshape community project

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
Onshape is built on CAD anywhere and true project collaboration. Let's start the ultimate community Onshape community project. Let's see if it is possible for the entire (are a vast majority of) community to contribute to a project that could be used as an Onshape marketing campaign tool to show the true power and collaboration of Onshape. Since I am a motorcycle enthusiast my first idea is to create a motorcycle with everyone (or like I said earlier, vast majority of) in the community contributing and working together. Onshape could document the process from concept to creation. Design ideas and designs coming from all parts of the globe, designing on just about every device, and collaborating any time and every where. Onshape could then display the final product in the home office and to travel to different events promoting Onshape and to announce to the CAD world Onshape is here to stay and change the CAD game as the establishment knows it. I know this is very ambitious but why not? Thoughts? Ideas? I turn now turn the mic (keyboard) over to the Onshape community.
Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    How would you pull this out? Are you thinking that Onshape would own this document and share with anyone who is interested?

How would you prevent from having a super bike front, street bike middle and motocross tail in the design (I'm too motorcycle enthusiast, or more like enduro + travel enduro enthusiast)? 

If there is a bunch of people who would like to participate in any kind of super-collaboration project, I would be more than happy to host the document (if Onshape is not willing to create unlimited account / use existing account to host this 'test').

So now we need to agree on what to design and begin =)   
    //rami
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how collaboration begins. First get people interested then move forward.
    I lean towards a dual sport concept.
    Bryan Lagrange

• teddy_pessagnoteddy_pessagno Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I would love to be a part of this.

Thanks
    Teddy_P

• gonzalo_chomongonzalo_chomon OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    We are already developing an Open Source Hardware (OSH) project in Onshape and I believe that there is more around.
    We think is the best platform for that althought there is some issues that OS have to adress on the colaboration systems.
    More info about OSH: http://www.oshwa.org/

As @3dcad we offer as well our accounts to host those projects.

A tip: As per our experience on OSH projects you need to start rolling the ball before you find people willing to collaborate.

edited September 2015
    Hey ho, let's go

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/75b863b1b99b44a9adfe592b/w/225476ffc0534d918a11418a/e/b8c0339e05e44d0ebe31d205

As my blood happens to be orange, I have uploaded one image to keep us on track. To be honest, I don't have what it takes to design motorcycle from scratch but I'm very interested to see how this grows.

Feel free to pm me your email for 'Can edit & share' -rights. If you prefer email use info @3dcad .fi

Let start with dual sport in mind and see where it grows..

Ambitious goals to achieve:

- Power > 100kw*
    - Torque > 100Nm*
    - Range > 1000km
    - Weight < 100kg =)
    - Driver + passenger + luggage support
    - Fully offroad compatible sport motorcycle with superior traveling comfort

*or electric motor with equivalent performance
    //rami
    Would you have to share it with everyone? Or do they make private copies?

Teddy_P

If we are going to collaborate using same document, I need to share it with every collaborator using onshape account email
    //rami
    Well I like that picture.

Teddy_P
    I have to admit it's not from my gallery - we don't have mountains like that in Finland =)
    //rami
    I am going to follow this thread. If there is anything someone just learning CAD can help with let me know. If not i will just watch and learn.

Teddy_P
  • gonzalo_chomongonzalo_chomon OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    @3dcad
    You can add in one tab the license that is going to be used.
    You may use 2 licenses one for the hole project an Open Source Hardware one, it can be from: http://www.oshwa.org/ 
    And another one for the drawings and other documentation you may create, that can be from Creative Commons: http://creativecommons.org/

Nice Pic. A frame design like this could be one of the jewels of the bike. I like the way the diameter of the tubing is small compared to traditional frames and it encompasses almost all features of the bike. Something like this would give great protection to the motor and allow for bracketry to mount to add accessories such as saddle bags.
    Bryan Lagrange

you can add bolt on guards that give the same look as the frame. I drew a quick example of removable cage around the exhaust.
    Bryan Lagrange

@bryan_lagrange That would be nice for street but it causes problems when crossing river / swamp and would propably make the seat height pretty high to get enough ground clearance. I would prefer sturdy frame on the bottom with bashplate getting the hits.

I have uploaded ktm 990 adventure frame for reference, maybe that could help us in the beginning. I used to have 990 and it had very good geometry, the only problems was weight and range. That's why I'm currently on 690 which minor problem is comfortable traveling.
    Dakar bikes are built around 450cc so that might be one perspective for this project.

If YOU have skills, interest, aknowledgement, spare time or something else to support the project:
    just PM me with your email and I will hand you edit rights.
    This project is a test and there is NO pressure to be a professional or even know what you are doing.

My suggestions are just things I have thought while traveling with motorcycle, this is not my own project, we can design whatever bike - I'm just hosting the project for free users to collaborate without using their own limited space.
    //rami

I thought about that after I posted it. 

So for starters rerouting the exhaust to a more  traditional location, of out the back of the bike, would help with ground clearance. Once Onshape implements sheet metal features a cool brush guard would work below the bike.

Bryan Lagrange

Exhaust needs to be thought carefully, I almost burned my bike last summer when I first drive on (in) swamp and then play hill climbing in soft sand. A piece of swamp got in fire between exhaust guard and pipe itself, luckily I noticed it immediately and I was able to drop the burning piece.

Should we take some bike as base that we modify? Maybe Ktm 990 adventure - it has great geometry, slim frame, enough ground clearance, big V2 with more than enough power and with 2to1 exhaust piping is pretty good also. If that bike could run with say 180kg (I don't know if it's possible) it would be awesome.

Designing whole bike from scratch might be too big piece for test purpose.. If you people find exact models of that bike, get the edit rights from me and upload in
    //rami
    I think we (well you guys) should do it from scratch.
    I think everyone in the community would benefit from watching it take shape. 

Teddy_P

edited September 2015
    @teddy_pessagno
    You have good point there, but currently there is only one collaborator + me. And designing from scratch would take loads of time, I thought that if we get something that looks like a motorcycle that might get more people interested and collaborate - then we can start new project from scratch.  

EDIT:
    Oh I wish I had time to take a cold beer with me and go to garage with laptop and begin creating my dreambike by examining the ones I have. But unfortunately it's just couple of hazy hours after kids go to bed, in these hours writing to forum feels better option than modeling.
    //rami
  • matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    I would love to try and contribute something to this project, but like @3dcad, my free time consists of a few hours between when the kid goes to bed and I go to bed.  Maybe as a group we can come up with a plan of attack to make some more "bite sized" mini projects that can be folded into the overall project? 
    I started looking for information last night and this morning. Haven't found anything yet.
    I was looking for dimensions for the motor, and wheels but have not found anything. 
    I assumed you would start there and build a frame around the stock items.

Teddy_P

@matthew_menard,
    That is exactly what we need to do.

Teddy_P

For the wheels, we should have two sets tubetype 21x1.85" front + 18x2.5" back for offroad and quick change to tubeless 17x3.5" front and 17x5" back for asphalt.

If someone is deep enough into organic nanotechnology I would like tyres to grow new knobbles and adjust the grip when surface changes, then we could think of only 1 set of rims =)=)
    //rami
    I see both sides. I would like to see this  as a completely Onshape created project with no imported features. However I am up for referencing imported data to get information for mounting locations, geometry for rack, etc.

I too have very little spare time, but with no set time table, I am in no rush to throw something together as quick as possible. More people joining the project will speed up the process and will add more perspective to the project.

We could break it down into subcategories to focus efforts.

I would break it down like this:

Frame, power plant and transmission. front suspension, rear suspension, controls, electrical (lights), wheels, fuel tank, oil tank, air filter, exhaust, seat and accessories.

I am sure I am missing something so feel free to add, subtract, or combine.

Ideally we should start with a frame, then move to power plant.

Bryan Lagrange

That is awesome.
    Is that a KTM frame or one you drew?

Teddy_P

@bryan_lagrange I think your list is enough for the beginning.

I'm not in hurry either and we are able to have new 'members' as long as this conversation is alive. If people don't see the conversation on forum front page nor model in public top 20 - most likely there is not going to be any new people finding this project.

@teddy_pessagno The frame is imported ktm 990. For me empty screen is not enough to get started so I uploaded this one for reference.

I agree it would be nice to have feature list without any imports.
    //rami
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @3dcad, Can you add me in this project? I would love to be part of this creation.
    @viru sure, just pm me your email
    //rami
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad , virendrasinghmumbai@gmail.com

One place to get models to reference would be Grab Cad.

Bryan Lagrange

I created a concept foot peg.

The basis is that you can change the fins do different shapes, materials, and colors, or a completely new body.

Give me feedback

Bryan Lagrange