Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

graphics.js problems

Hello all,
I'm a newbie on Onshape but have 25 years of CAD-use on various systems. I'm trying this out to see what it's like.

I have created a small assembly with one only part and patterned it to 6400 objects in order to see how Onshape works with pattern since that an important task for our business. To me 6400 small since my top assy usually ends up like 100-200k objects.
Apart from consuming 1GB of ram I get graphic errors and problems on the devices I've tested. First my personal laptop with AMD 5450 (I think), then also at work on my Lenovo E32 with QuadroK2000. On my phone with iOS 9 it never gets that far and times out. When I Stop script, the assy loads but with unbearably rugged edges so it is impossible to work with.
Number of faces on the test part is just 6 whereas a proper part would have like 100.
I work with SolidWorks and Solid Edge professionally and to both of them, patterns like these are not a walk in the park for them either, but I don't expect graphic breakdown. Did have a look and recommendations of the graphics and could not find out to have any problems with my card and recommended drivers.

Also the time to timeout is far too short. Haven't figured out yet if that is a setting I can change or not, but I be able to get a coffee without a timeout.  :smile: 

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    What browser are you using?  Please submit a ticket bg using the ? Menu in the upper right and selecting Feedback. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @thomas_soderholm There are some improvements in the pipeline for graphics on the Onshape side of things... I think.  My guess is that's what you are bumping into at the moment.  For a data set this big, I wouldn't expect a phone to handle it well - at least not yet.  For your side of things... how much memory do you have?  Are you using a 64 bit browser?  How much memory does your graphics card have?  The workstation cards will not be the way forward for using Onshape in the future.  A much cheaper and much more powerful gaming card would be the better route.  The overpriced/underwhelming horsepower of workstation cards with their special drivers for desktop CAD will not be where graphics goes with Onshape, I think.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited September 2015
    Thomas - please do open a ticket. There are of course 'limits' and those will be dependent on a large number of factors. 
    By way of comparison, I have a nearly 3 year old MacBookPro and had no problem doing a 20 x 20 x 20 array (8000 parts each with 6 faces).

Philip Thomas - Onshape
    @philip_thomas can you give the size of each cube?  I'm curious to see for myself...or just share it?
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Size doesn't matter! :)
    ok, the cubes are 25mm x 25mm x25mm and the spacing is 30 mm.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited September 2015
    Cheap chromebook with chrome gave couple times Timeout 'Not responding' but I just click wait and it didn't take more than few minutes to succeed. No problems manipulating view after finished - that's pretty awesome for $399 chromebook.

Edit: Plus I have dozen other tabs open in same browser window..  B)
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all fairness to the OP, I think he would derive small consolation from knowing that certain other platforms do not suffer the inability to perform of the ones he happens to use.

For Onshape  to have a reputable claim be multi-platform, it should ideally not require users with capable machines to nevertheless purchase a dedicated machine.

Put simply, it needs to "do what it says on the tin".
    Andrew - i agree - it was for that reason that I suggested that the OP open a ticket because it SHOULD work just as you say :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Size doesn't matter! :)
    ok, the cubes are 25mm x 25mm x25mm and the spacing is 30 mm.
    Sounds like a nice performance benchmark public document to me....  Could be useful in flushing out non-optimal setups.
    Okay... I have made a document public.  It's called Performance Array.  My thought is to keep creating new part studio tabs with an ever greater number in the patterns to keep pushing the ball and find where the performance breaks for you.  Right now there is one part studio tab that contains 8,000 bodies per @philip_thomas description.  It's running fine on my older hardware here with a lower end Quadro card.  Why not create additional tabs with greater numbers of bodies.  I'm wondering how finely to scale the number of bodies... 10,000...12,000...14,000...16,0000???

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/22b1dc81cbef4ca2bceb6c65/w/bd3931318d764424893baefe/e/5a6bc31618b74fb19bcc8089

I'm just increasing the pattern by 1 on each direction, so each new studio will be increased by the pattern number cubed.... 20^3, 21^3, 22^3, 23^3, etc...
    edited September 2015
    Question for Onshape...  Can Should I create a new studio for each increase in the pattern number, or should I create a new public document for each increase in the number of the pattern.  I'm curious about performance within a tabbed document vs. performance in a clean document.  Maybe I'll do both...
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    the 8000 pattern took 1-1/2 minutes to open then I got a non responsive script with the below result.

edited September 2015
    3dcad said:
    Cheap chromebook with chrome gave couple times Timeout 'Not responding' but I just click wait and it didn't take more than few minutes to succeed. No problems manipulating view after finished - that's pretty awesome for $399 chromebook.

Edit: Plus I have dozen other tabs open in same browser window..  B)
    Tried to open same model in office with more powerfull computer and 100M lan. Maybe it took a little bit longer to load than tabs with less parts but no timeouts or so and model is immediately ready for editing when it appears on screen. I got feeling that chrome / onshape enjoys my 64gigs of RAM.

I did second test and opened another rather simple 1 part model in another browser tab, that made things very slow and eventually chrome crashed - but I suppose this is not about Onshape?

I think opening models is about same time as opening cad files in Alibre. But loading document list takes way too long (should be like a blink of an eye) and timeout is performed too soon. Timeout makes it difficult to use multiple browser windows and bouncing between tabs in same window is too slow (similar to having only one file open at time in traditional cad).

I got another idea for timeouts, what if you could set working hours of day (maybe 2x 4hour set) and Onshape wouldn't timeout during those hours?
    I understand that they need to get users to reload models at some point to push updates but it shouldn't affect to our workflow. @philip_thomas
    //rami
    Yet another test, accidental box selection over the 8000pcs cube

Few timeouts but eventually it did finish and opened the menu for selection

Hide 3618 parts:

//rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zut alors: ze Phantom Lego thief strikes again!
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Cubes are actually easy to render, change the cubes to spheres and push the graphics to it's extremes.

We use to do this type of testing in SW many moons ago, I guess history does repeat itself. 

billy said:
    Cubes are actually easy to render, change the cubes to spheres and push the graphics to it's extremes.

We use to do this type of testing in SW many moons ago, I guess history does repeat itself. 

I'm running exactly this test today in SolidWorks.  8,000 cubes... not so good in SolidWorks.  My machine...

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.2 Ghz)
    8 GB of RAM
    nVidia Quadro FX 570
    Windows 7 64 bit
    SolidWorks 2013 64 bit

Onshape is beating it on my setup.
    Still churning in SolidWorks 10+ minutes later.... 4.17GB of RAM consumed and climbing.  AWS is crushing the compute performance of my local machine.
    I gave up on SolidWorks at 20+ minutes in...
    @pete_yodis THANK YOU - that is the real takeaway from this.
    Onshape by leveraging the power of the cloud, is going to give you (in most cases) as-good, if not better-than, the performance you would get from another professional grade installed 3D CAD solutions.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
    @philip_thomas love the pic.  We're getting better performance also WITH a lower cost from Onshape.
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Just tried with spheres as suggested by @billyit takes a long minute but it does the trick (No timeouts). Running a MacBook pro Retina (8GB RAM, I5, Iris graphics 6100). Amazing.

Just for fun told our CAD guys to run this test in our workstations using Solid Edge, will let you know how it goes.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    @nav It is amazing, isn't it.  And we're just at the beginning of this.  Imagine 10 years out.  Wow, crazy cool stuff is coming.  Desktop land is finished.
  • matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the test model @pete_yodis!  Firefox threw an error at me asking if I wanted to stop the the unresponsive script, but ultimately opened.  Took a few minutes to open all said.  Once open, rotation and panning wasn't perfectly smooth, but definitely usable and acceptable for such a large amount of data.  When I tried to do selections and hiding like @3dcad I got repeated java script time out errors, but eventually ended up working. 

I also ended up recreating the model in Solidworks for grins.  It took about the same amount of time to array the 20 x 20 square pattern up by 20 instances as it took to open the performance model in OS.  However, OS had noticeably better panning and rotating of the array.

For reference my hardware is:
    HP Zbook 15
    Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz
    20GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro 610K w/1GB ram
    non-ssd HDD

Great experiment and great work to the OS staff.  Did I hear correctly that OS is working on making it so only the view-able faces are rendered?  If that is the case, the performance should skyrocket.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @nav It is amazing, isn't it.  And we're just at the beginning of this.  Imagine 10 years out.  Wow, crazy cool stuff is coming.  Desktop land is finished.
    +1
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @pete_yodis ,Thanks for the great experiment on test model.

edited September 2015
    @viru You are welcome.  What better way to demonstrate the capability of Onshape than a public model.  Hope we didn't push the system too hard in our curiosity, Onshape...  I will now remove the public model now that folks have tried it.  @philip_thomas said it best.  The take away is that people see that this is a serious system you are running on and should perform just as well or even far better than what most are now designing on.  I'll  re-make the point that it's at a lower cost, and the future of this platform seems very bright as far as scalability.  That can't be said about desktop land.