Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

shortcut key for top, front and right planes

don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
I have printed off the list of short cut keys provided by Onshape but I don't see a short cut for selecting the top, front or right planes. Am I missing something here? If I zoom in on a part and I need to create an sketch on the right plane I have to scroll to the top of the feature tree to select it. This is not very productive in multi-part documents. Tell me Onshape has a shortcut key for this.

Comments

• Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    @don_howe ,

Use the shortcut 'p' button, show/hide planes, and click select the one you want. Press 'p' again to hide.

• don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    @ Stuart_Tod,  thanks for the tip but that really doesn't help me. See, if the right plane is 16 or 40 inches or whatever to the left or right and off the screen, using the "p" button doesn't activate the the main "right" plane. I would still have to scroll out to select the plane I need or again make my way over to the feature tree. There needs to be a shortcut like "CTRL R" for "right-plane" or "SHIFT R" or just plane "R". 
  • Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    @don_howe ,

This may be worth putting forward an improvement request - I have run into the same problem with 'wide' scenarios. I like the 'p' shortcut as it just involves a quick scroll and click, but getting rid of that step would be good - so plus 1 for instant one-click plane selection (of the three major planes).
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @don_howe ,Currently Onshape haven't provided shortcut key for selecting the top, front or right planes. You can raise this point by improvement request. Kindly refer the thread for improvement request.
    https://forum.onshape.com/categories/improvement-requests
    In future we hope user defined shortcut key facility will be provided by Onshape
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    There is only limited amount of buttons on keyboard and browser hijacks some of them. I have understood that Ons guys are not eager to assign a lot of keys at this point of development since changing would mess up workflows in future.

@don_howe One solution would be to have 3dconnexion 3d mouse which has the buttons you need and more (front, top, right and turn).
    It does cost some money but I have found 3d mouse with it's buttons almost replacing keyboard while modeling.
    //rami
    Thanks 3dcad, I have such a critter at the office but not at home. Maybe Santa will bring me one :smile: 
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @don_howe We do not currently have a hotkey to pick planes but you can type 'plane' (or a portion of it) into the filter at the top of the tree to filter only planes.  Not a hotkey but will avoid scroll and when you clear it, the tree returns to the previous scroll state.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    @ lougallo, thanks for that tip. Not a perfect solution but it does help having not to scroll.