Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

mouse wheel direction

len_1962len_1962 Member Posts: 19 EDU
Can we flip the zoom of the mouse wheel to mimic the other CAD\CAM systems we use?

Best Answers

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Answer ✓
    @len_1962 There are a number of requests that come in for preferences. It was not put in the product since at launch since there are many options that need to be thought out.  With scroll the feedback is immediate and you can quickly correct it.  As @Andy Morris has mentioned, we will eventually add a profile that will roam with you no matter what you are on... Windows, Linux, Chromebook, Mac..  Glad to see you in here bud.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Answers

• andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    We have an improvement open for scroll wheel direction so you can set it in your user profile.

This is an interesting (but solvable) challenge since you'd want the scroll direction to be the same on which ever device you sign in on, without having to change the operating systems setting each time i.e. 'natural scrolling' on OS X.
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • len_1962len_1962 Member Posts: 19 EDU
    So it is in the works?

not sure I understand the second part. 
    edited March 2015
    ok, but why not get an option now to change and deal with the over all option later.

I only use Windows with SW and HSMWorks, surfcam every day and the mouse wheel is a pain, makes me not want to learn Onshape, sorry
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Answer ✓
    @len_1962 There are a number of requests that come in for preferences. It was not put in the product since at launch since there are many options that need to be thought out.  With scroll the feedback is immediate and you can quickly correct it.  As @Andy Morris has mentioned, we will eventually add a profile that will roam with you no matter what you are on... Windows, Linux, Chromebook, Mac..  Glad to see you in here bud.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Thanx Lou!

trying to use it a little bit more, 120 senior deign students and the Formula team has kept us pretty busy this semester.
  • randall_brustrandall_brust Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Any update on adding scroll wheel zoom direction?

Thanks,
    Randy

• erik_wrighterik_wright Member Posts: 1
    Just discovered Onshape today.  The first thing that I noticed was the scrolling being reversed from my daily CAD station and had to go find the solution.  It's not a deal breaker for me but I hope it's an improvement that's added soon.
  • don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I find the zoom in and out with mouse to be an annoyance but something I can live with until an update comes along. I didn't let it keep me from learning and working in Onshape. At work I use a 3Dconnexion mouse and zooming in and out is not an issue. I find myself at times left mouse clicking though to rotate my part when I am at work. These are minor annoyances and do not effect my workflow at home or at work to any great degree. It's like riding a bike and driving a car, unless of course you have a Flintstone car (haha)
    Don,

well it is a pain when you are going between 2 to 3 different programs where 2 use the mouse the SW way and then then other is bassackwards.
    Don't even get me started about Rhino >:)
  • ivan_volpeivan_volpe Member Posts: 2
    It doesn't seem a big issue to solve.... just add a parameter in the user profile! Please, go ahead with the mouse wheel direction!
  • jarad_berkmanjarad_berkman Member Posts: 1
    I gave onshape a shot. I'm a daily user of NX, solidworks, and Creo(which is absolute garbage). The mouse controls in onshape  are really keeping me from using this software more often. All 3 of the previous softwares i mentioned all use the same mouse control(pan/zoom).

I just had some hypermesh training, their mouse controls are atrocious too.

But keep it up Onshape feels like it's a combo of NX and solidworks, my 2 favs.
  • andrew_symondsandrew_symonds Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

So now that this has been implemented, can it be made so that the "Reverse scroll wheel zoom direction" option is tied to "Environment profile settings", rather than "View manipulation".

As the "Environment profile settings" are tied to a specific device, I presume this change would allow me to set the scroll direction on a per-device basis.

Since I use the trackpad on my MacBook and a mouse scroll wheel on my PC, I'm currently having to go into my preferences to change the scroll direction every time I switch between devices in order to have Onshape behave the way I like.

Thanks,

Andrew
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310

So now that this has been implemented, can it be made so that the "Reverse scroll wheel zoom direction" option is tied to "Environment profile settings", rather than "View manipulation".

As the "Environment profile settings" are tied to a specific device, I presume this change would allow me to set the scroll direction on a per-device basis.

Since I use the trackpad on my MacBook and a mouse scroll wheel on my PC, I'm currently having to go into my preferences to change the scroll direction every time I switch between devices in order to have Onshape behave the way I like.
    This is unlikely to change because "environment..." refers to something completely different. Feel free to create an IR in the category on the right.

You could also change your trackpad settings or use pinch to zoom?

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI