Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Essential Training Multipart tutorial, stuck on midplane [w/ screenshots]

daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
Hello everyone, 

I'm stuck (again) on the Essential training Multipart studio video tutorial (2:46). In the tutorial, the instructor draws on a midplane but never explains where the midplane is in relation to the R, F, T planes. So I went ahead and drew the model on the TOP plane which made the most sense to me. Later in the video, he extrudes to the mid plane, then mirrors it on the midplane as well, that is where I'm stuck. Why did he use the mid plane? Why didn't he use the top plane and define a distance for the extrusion? Or extrude to and mirror to an offset plane from the top plane? Considering the shape of the object, an offset plane seems to make more sense. Without the midplane, I am not able to continue with the tutorial. If I do, I'm afraid that I'll run into a problem somewhere else down the line. Here is my document shared to public

Some screenshots: This is the video wit the instructor extruding to the midplane, where is the midplane? How do I transfer my work from the top plane to the mid plane so I can follow the tutorial? 

Later the instructor mirrors the pins on the midplane

Here is what my reproduction of the object looks like. I drew it on the top plane not knowing how the instructor aligned the mid plane. Why did he even use the mid plane for this?

Wouldnt it be better to use an offset plane and extrude to that? Why didn't he just specify a length to extrude? 

Best Answers

Answers

• daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Ever look for a pen that you were holding in your hands? Well this just happened here to me! Thank you for the response. 
    edited October 2015
    Ok got another problem. So now I have plane 1 which is the same as the "mid plane" in the video:
    Essential training Multipart studio video tutorial (2:46)

I'm trying to extrude down to the this plane 1 / midplane as it shows in the video: 

So here is my sketch, you can see that I have a second plane -.5" from the top plane. And the problem is that the pins are not touching the new pane like it is on the video tutorial

So I'm trying to make the pins touch my offset / mid plane, the "Up To Surface" menu item is missing from the Extrude menu, I believe its replaced by "Up To Part", but I still can't make it extrude to Plane 1! Tried everything... help! 
    [See next message for the screenshot]

So I'm trying to make the pins touch my offset / mid plane, the "Up To Surface" menu item is missing from the Extrude menu, I believe its replaced by "Up To Part", but I still can't make it extrude to Plane 1! Tried everything... help! 

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @ daniel_chow, As i can see that you created "Plane1" after the Extrude1 and Extrude2.Please keep Plane1 after to main sketch as in the video.Then use upto face option for getting that result.

Thanks guys, got it extruded to Plane 1 / Mid Plane! Here is a screenshot for anyone else stuck at this point. 

As Andrew said, the offset plane has to be stacked ABOVE the extrusion attempt. 

Thank you kindly for your assistance! I got it! 

Now going to repeat the video a couple of times, let the skills sink in. Thank you again!