Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What is this stuff for?Can you download and render in different application?

will_greenewill_greene Member Posts: 2
I guess I'm missing the whole point of onShape.
What can you use this for?Can you download a drawing and make a 3D object out of it?
I'm not much into CAD so I'm not understanding this.Usually,I can hop right into something and do something,anything but this not so much.
I have Maxwell so I can import and render.
I have 3D programs I can edit objects and even drawings.I see no where to download anything.
Just a small tutorial about what Onshape is and can do would be great.
Thanks.(or point me to a link about what can be done with Onshape)

Answers

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Hi @will_greene - Onshape is a full cloud 3D CAD system running entirely in your web browser.  From any computer or iOS or Android device, you can create parts, assemblies, and drawings, export and download them in standard and native file formats for use in other programs for rendering, 3D printing, and manufacturing, share and collaborate in real time with your colleagues, and never lose any of your data with our built in version management system.

Check out our product tour for more information:  https://www.onshape.com/product-tour

Does that help?
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • will_greenewill_greene Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much to the both of you.
    Browser CAD.Very cool stuff.
    The links answered 99% of my questions.
    The only questions I have is why does Maxwell have a link the OnShape?
    I have gotten a new computer and when I installed Maxwell this time I opted out of OnShape.
    If you create these objects in the browser do I need a plugin to render it with Maxwell in my browser?
    Or how does that work?I looked in the Maxwell & Onshape docs but saw nothing.
    Thanks again for any help and thanks for your time.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Maxwell is one of our technical Partners.  You can see a list of our partners here: https://www.onshape.com/partners/technology

Maxwell is one of the first partners to build a direct connection to Onshape.  With their integration you can easily browse your Onshape Documents and choose geometry to render in Maxwell.  The plug in makes getting geometry from Onshape into Maxwell easier. Without it installed, you can still manually export and download a file from Onshape and then manually open the file in Maxwell.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support