Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet Metal

robert_zschocherobert_zschoche Member Posts: 17
How do I manage sheet metal parts with unfolding and bend allowances
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• robert_zschocherobert_zschoche Member Posts: 17
    Thanks.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • robert_zschocherobert_zschoche Member Posts: 17
    Hi.  I have been away for a while.  just know in the "CAD" market again.,  No sheet metal is a deal breaker.  Has that functionality been added since I've been gone?
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    robert_zschoche, sheet metal has not been added , maybe it has been under the development process,let us look forward to it together! 
  • scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    edited November 2015
    Hi All,

What are the key sheet metal features or functions that are most critical to your workflow?

Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • robin_mccaffreyrobin_mccaffrey Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    Hi All,

What are the key sheet metal features or functions that are most critical to your workflow?

In order of importance

Thickness
    Flatten
    Flanges
    Cut across bend/normal cuts
    Convert surfaces to sheet metal
    Stretch allowance (k-factor, or +material thickness rule of thumb)
    Bend Radius
    Stepped breaks (i.e. stepped cones/etc)
  • francis_courchesnefrancis_courchesne Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    Here would be my list, in order or importance
    1. Thicken from sketch (base flange)
    2. Flange/Contour flange, with the option to bend only a portion of an edge ("from" selector on both sides)
    3. Flatten with stretch calculations (k-factor mostly for me)
    4. Drawing flat view with bend axis reporting (print out all bend angles and positions)
    5. Proper cut support over bends
    6. Automatic corner seams (I mostly keep the same seam across bends)
    7. Mirror
    8. Pattern
    9. Chamfer/radius
    10. Convert solid to sheet metal
    11. Unbend
    12. Bend back (used often with punching)
    13. Emboss/punch
    14. Manual corner seams
    I can be functional when functions up to (and including) item 6 are implemented.

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a small thing: PLEASE permit dialling down the number of decimal places for the (automatically inserted) bend angle.

Nothing looks more like the ravings of a rank amateur than a drawing for a  part from a thin material with lots of springback asking the operator to provide Bend Angles at the accuracy implied by "90.00 degrees". It's several orders of magnitude better than what's generally achievable, or what's needed.

I imagine Solidworks eventually addressed this but it was an irritant for many years, and in the meantime it degraded engineering mindsets by repeatedly suggesting to junior engineers that there is no such thing as specifying too much accuracy, and/or no such thing as implied accuracy.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @andrew_troup, why not just dial it back on the drawing? Some parts I do have compound angles with parametric links to flanges,  so you naturally end up with angles that have alot of numbers after the decimal point. I just round these back to the nearest degree on the drawing to suit the process.

I never really been in the habit of rounding in the 3d model, I always do it on the drawing. I notices in your challenge you specified to have the dimension rounded is this something you would normally do?
    edited November 2015
    @andrew_troup, why not just dial it back on the drawing? ....
    I can't work out what I wrote to suggest I wanted to dial it back in the model.
    I want to be able to specify the number of decimals on the drawing, for bend angles.
    For many years Solidworks did not permit this; flat pattern drawings showed all angles to two decimals of a degree and could not be truncated.

I never really been in the habit of rounding in the 3d model, I always do it on the drawing. I notices in your challenge you specified to have the dimension rounded is this something you would normally do?
    There are two topics here which are not quite the same thing: one is truncating the number of significant digits (and possibly rounding the last one up or down) and the other is shoehorning the dimension into a preferred number series. In the random challenge, it was a case of the latter.

I would certainly round (to a sensible "preferred number") the key dimension specifying a cosmetic feature, like chamfer or a radius, in a parametrically size-variable model, rather than in the drawing.
    Drawings produced from parametrically variable models should manage themselves automatically, and only require human intervention if they go haywire (at least, that's how I see it).

Partly what drives "preferred number" rounding is because it helps make it obvious to everyone throughout the production chain that the feature does not serve any functional purpose which would require it to be an exact size.
    CHF 1 x 45º  has a very different implication for production and value engineering from CHF 1.414 x 50.2º

Furthermore, in many cases this class of cosmetic feature will be produced by standard tooling which will only be available in certain preferred sizes.

It doesn't make sense to me to have features on the model sized incorrectly with respect to the production drawing, or (another way of saying the same thing) to have the drawing showing a feature which is not to scale.

Another reason to get the model representing reality is that someone else may end up producing the drawing, and I don't believe in having lengthy and complicated handover briefings and notes: I reckon the model should guide the draughtsman as far as possible. 
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Really hoping a sheet metal and fabrication environment (like solidworks) comes in soon. :)
  • jim_7jim_7 Member Posts: 2
    Love the concept of Onshape and would make the move immediately. However, not having sheetmetal means another year with SW as we will be renewing soon.
    edited November 2015
    jim_7
    Is it worth renewing, as opposed to simply hopping off the upgrade treadmill, but keep using it for a few more years?
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    jim_7
    Is it worth renewing, as opposed to simply hopping off the upgrade treadmill, but keep using it for a few more years?
    @andrew_troup Great suggestion and one he should contemplate... unless he works with others that force him into needing the 2016 file format support.  Ahh.... desktop CAD locking you in.  Get all your others together and decide to not upgrade and instead spend your money on Onshape accounts and collaborate far better  :)

I think that will be trend.  People will decide to get off the SolidWorks upgrades, and shift the money towards Onshape.  They will then have 2 CAD packages for less than the cost of the old one.  Call it a 2 for 1 deal.  The change in SolidWorks subscription policy is causing some additional doubt among the users about how long they want to keep paying.

@jim_7 What is it specifically that is holding you back in sheet metal.  Is it the whole sheet metal package, or just a biggie... like flatten?  I'm curious.
  • paul_stephensonpaul_stephenson Member Posts: 4
    Flatten is essential step 1 to be able to create 2D DXF for laser cutting real world parts. Other advanced sheet metal functions eg changing k function can be added later. I can not give up SW or even consider OnShape until there is good sheet metal functionality.
    Creating a new sheet metal tabs off an existing sheet metal part is the other commonly used tool also placing a bend in a flat sheet, these two features should be added ASAP 
  • paul_stephensonpaul_stephenson Member Posts: 4
    Mirroring Sheet metal parts was not added to SW for many years, make sure you consider this as a MUST feature, even if not straight away, but if you don't consider it now, it may be really hard later.
    edited November 2015
    No.1 for me is the ability to Flatten. Without any other sheet metal functionality this could be used to flatten both imported parts (originally modelled in another sheet metal package) and parts modelled in Onshape part studio as if they are sheet metal, but obliviously with standard Onshape tools. 

Here's a sheet metal project I did in Onshape, I used a very crude method to get a flat pattern. It went something like this 1. derive part to new studio 2. transform by mate connector to the origin and in the correct orientation (more for my drawing than dxf) 3. de-feature bend radius's with remove faces 4. split out flanges with split part, 5. transform the flanges via transform rotate, 6. boolean merge, 7. extrude remove to get edges normal 8. general clean up direct edit tools and extrude 9. export face as a dxf. 

It would be nice to have a tool to do step 3 to 7 in 1 go.  
    Screenshot 2015-11-13 21.04.56.png

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done Bruce.  Impressive none the less.
  • sistema_perrysistema_perry Member Posts: 2
    Partly what drives "preferred number" rounding is because it helps make it obvious to everyone throughout the production chain that the feature does not serve any functional purpose which would require it to be an exact size. 
    CHF 1 x 45º  has a very different implication for production and value engineering from CHF 1.414 x 50.2º  AMS
  • sistema_perrysistema_perry Member Posts: 2
    I would certainly round (to a sensible "preferred number") the key dimension specifying a cosmetic feature, like chamfer or a radius, in a parametrically size-variable model, rather than in the drawing AMS
    Drawings produced from parametrically variable models should manage themselves automatically, and only require human intervention if they go haywire (at least, that's how I see it).