Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Restore vs Versions

florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
Hi Everyone,

First post after a lot of good feedback from the support team.

I am missing the possibility to go back to an earlier created version. In git terms:
git checkout <commit> <file>

Yes, it is possible to skip back in history, which is a pretty long list if you just had to undo the last twenty minutes. Technically a version should know at what point in history it was created. Next I was searching for was a "Saved Version" entry in the history => No luck as well. I don't want to branch every time I try something. Or would that be the intended approach?

Any Idea how to easily restore versions? Maybe I'm getting the system wrong…

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @florian_wehner You appear to understand the system correctly. I agree that the history list is a bit daunting and that it would be nice to be able to rename points in the list or create user defined restore points. But in the absence of that ability if you are starting a new trial you may want to create a blank sketch first then rename it something memorable then the history list will show that name and you will have something in the list you can relate to.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice workaround, @DaVicki !

• stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited November 2015
    @florian_wehner Yes, you have it correct. presently, the only way to return to a previous version then continue from there is to branch.  If you find yourself needing to do so often, then, I agree, this may not be a neat solution.  Having said all that I can assure we hear you, fully understand your needs and agree yours is a workflow that we must support........ stay tuned.

PS. , @DaVicki  has a really nice workaround.

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    While editing a document you can use the Manage versions in the top left corner and use 'Save Version' to save a version at a specific point in history.

This saved version can be used as a branching point as well.