Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Just tried onshape - not impressed.

I have created two simple parts then opened a blank assembly. There is no way to bring in the parts to mate. When I click on "insert part" it does not find anything to insert, even though I know full well the parts exist.
What's going on?

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Did you create parts in different documents?

Onshape documents hold all parts and assemblies of one project, you should dig deeper and begin with some tutorial - I'm sure you will be impressed.
    //rami
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @michael_watchman Welcome to Onshape.  Are you trying to insert parts from another document, or are they all in one document?  Onshape doesn't yet support insertion of items outside of thier own documents.  For your example, the parts and assembly all need to be contained within one document.  Is that the issue?
    Looks like @3dcad beat me on the trigger... Good things @3dcad!
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @michael_watchman Below is a screen image of Onshape help document showing how to insert the parts in assembly.

For details you can refer the link 
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/#insertpartorassembly.htm?TocPath=Modeling%20in%20Onshape|Assembly|_____1
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @michael_watchman ,Welcome to Onshape. Onshape is one of the best user friendly product. I enjoyed part modelling and assembly modelling in Onshape because it is most innovative and have best user interface compared to other CAD tool. As a beginner you can begin with some tutorial and help document as shown in below link. At the end of the day I am sure you will be really impressed.
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/topic/essential-training
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/
    Essential training Multipart studio video tutorial

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited November 2015
    The parts may not be parts but surfaces. Surfaces are not supported in the Assembly Tab, this is an easy mistake to make. 

When in you are in the part studio check the bottom of the tree to see if these are parts or surfaces. See the studio shown has 0 parts, and 1 surface. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @michael_watchmanI hope you persist with Onshape even though not being initially impressed. I know I have certainly been impressed with some of the subtle, yet powerful features that are buried within Onshape, I quite often find features that are by far improvements on other MCAD programs I have used and I am sure with their fast paced, customer focused development we will see a lot more of these innovations coming online soon. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    @michael_watchmanAnd as you can tell from the responses here, there is a fantastically knowledgeable community of users that are willing to help out at anytime of the day.  Very neat to be a part of.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I have created two simple parts then opened a blank assembly. There is no way to bring in the parts to mate. ..
    The first thing to get you impressed is that you don't necessarily need to 'bring in the parts to mate' - if there is no motion between the parts, you don't need assembly at all.
    You can create multiple parts from same sketch or just select face of one part and sketch another part right there. Traditional cad would create only a single part with this method but Onshape changes the game so that you can concentrate on design and mates are created within sketch or extrude definitions.
    With every extrude you can choose to make a new part or add into existing - isn't that impressive? I certainly think it is..
    //rami