Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

modeling a gear rack

bruce_tamlynbruce_tamlyn Member Posts: 1
I am one hour into using OnShape.  I want to model a gear rack 150mm long x 25mm x 25mm with a modul 2 tooth profile.  Actually the tooth profile doesn't need to be exact.  What I tried was create a box 25x25x150.  Then make a sketch of a tooth( just a triangle on the side face.  extrude cut the triangle to get the first tooth.  Then I was trying to do a linear pattern of the extruded tooth sketch but it didn't work.

So how would you all model a gear rack?

Comments

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @bruce_tamlyn Extrude the triangle as a new part, and linear pattern the new part.  You can use the "Remove" option in linear pattern to cut.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    You can use the `Face pattern` option to do this but it will not be as robust as what @cody_armstrong has suggested.  If you have the true module 2 profile you will need to make sure the top surface is not completely cut out (as you can see and edge on both ends and between teeth).  Face patterns are not as resilient as a boolean feature.  We are working on bringing feature-based selections in the future.  

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.