Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Any Injection Molding Experts out there?

matthew_loew_1matthew_loew_1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I'm looking for an expert in developing parts to be made by injection molding for a production release. Anyone know someone that can help me?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Loew
Tera Development Solutions

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I know enough to make machinist angry. Send me an email and tell me what's up.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    If Bill can't help shoot me a line or DM or public.
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    Hi Matthew,

This (IJ) is my life right now. Us there something specific I can help you with?

Mark
  • abhilashabhilash Member Posts: 4
    The core & cavity extraction for the mold design of plastic products has to be done right now by the work around methods using with basic options like draft, split,Boolean & basic surface etc for defining the parting line & surface,since the analysis option like draft analysis,under cut analysis has to come in Onshape,you have to manually decide & Confirm it with respect to its correct orientation & angle.Since the scaling feature has yet to come in On shape scale factor based up on your material condition for shrinkage allowance you can offset the sketch,manually with respect from its centroid & also using move face in part workbench

• kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    I don't really think anyone would be using Onshape yet to do any actual production moulds? Lack of a scale tool makes it nigh on impossible to do. I'm seeing Onshape in its present state as very much  simple CNC'd part or 3D printed part front end.
  • matthew_loew_1matthew_loew_1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I don't need to develop the tooling, just the part geometry ready for a tooling release. Someone else will make the tooling off of the parts I release. 

I think Onshape has been brilliant for developing the conceptual geometry (although not always very efficient in the current form). For the development of the production parts Onshape is quite limited in terms of the ability to create the type of drafts and rounds one would expect. There are no workflow aids (wizards) to create snap-fits or other plastic-specific features and without the draft analysis & undercut analysis indeed the quality of the parts may be difficult to confirm. I'm committed to working with Onshape to complete this project even if some parts are developed outside of Onshape and imported back in.
    Matthew Loew
    Tera Development Solutions
  • abhilashabhilash Member Posts: 4
    @matthewloew Now you can scale the part as per your scale factor using transform feature which came newly.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Without surfacing I think your plastic part will look like a block of material. Rounds isn't a good way to create organic shapes. If it's a hand held device it won't feel good and it's a pretty part it won't look good. It's just too early for all of that.

Without surface knitting, using surfaces is difficult in that you are forced to create huge patches to cut with or build with. Most pattern tools and mirror tools work at the body level and not the feature level making create strategies very difficult. Currently the CAD is getting in the way of creativity. 

This is a great opportunity to ask for an detach surface feature (un-knit), if I can knit it, why can't I un-knit it? Please include this when you add knit. Knit & un-knit should come as a pair.

I am creating parts and printing them, but for now, it's just for fun.

• sergio_p_sergio_p_ Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    If you still need the plastic modeler guy, I can provide you the models, and even more, make any FEA analysis to be sure of the design strenght.

Regards
    Sergio PLUCHINSKY
    CAD, FEA and Engineering Consultor
    +54 9 11 2250 0564
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    billy said:
    <snip>

This is a great opportunity to ask for an detach surface feature (un-knit), if I can knit it, why can't I un-knit it? Please include this when you add knit. Knit & un-knit should come as a pair.

Hey, @billy, you've got me standing on my seat and clapping here.

I have for SO long wondered why in tarnation a certain other MCAD solid modeller did not offer un-knit ...... workarounds invariably complicate the model, make it confusing and (of course) labour intensive.... so here's a resounding 

+1
  • batista_hardybatista_hardy Member Posts: 3
    as a professional trade plastic moulders we would like to offer some help, what ever you are in need of let us know and we would me more than happy to assist.