Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sketch Mode

cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
Just a very broad question, as I have been testing Onshape for the last two weeks in a professional environment.

In Sketch Mode,what are the two most useful Tools. ( Not including the most used ie line, dims, circle ect. )

The two I find most useful are:

1:   Point
2:   Coincident

Looking forward to seeing yours

Graham

Comments

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say which are most useful, 'cos it depends so much on what I'm modelling

But here are my favourites:

Symmetric constraint (incredibly versatile, endless applications)

Sketch patterns (after the enduring horrors of Solidworks sketch patterns, such a delight to use)
  • cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Andrew
    Yes I fully agree, the Patterns Tool is very powerful and versatile, it is also available in the model environment. How do rate the Right Mouse Click in all environments, I find this a very powerful tool throughout Onshape.
    Once you think you know your way around Onshape (but not yet a fluent user) many hours can be spent exploring all the hidden tools and using the Right Mouse Click.

Graham 
    I agree that RMB is powerful in Onshape (although arguably Solidworks' RMB is even more so - and suits visual thinkers better, with icons for the most common choices)

A strange omission from the RMB menu in Onshape, in sketches particularly, is "Delete".
    A lot of sketching could be done without recourse to the keyboard, if that omission was rectified. 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    My most used favourites would be coincident and equal constraints, I have even set quick buttons for these in 3d mouse.

And features that makes me smile every time I get to use them are pattern, mirror and use/project.

The one in the opposite side is 'Select other' that requires too many clicks to perform..

//rami
    3dcad said:

..... features that makes me smile every time I get to use them are pattern, mirror and use/project.

The one in the opposite side is 'Select other' that requires too many clicks to perform..

Amen to that, brother!

It seems to me to go much broader than that:

at present, I reckon the whole selection deal is Onshape's snaggle-toothed stepchild.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @cadmando , My most used favorites would be
    1:   Use command
    2:   Coincident constraints
    3:   Equal constraints 
    4:   Copy sketch.