Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sample Wind Meter size 1+ GB !!! and can't open it

Kustaa_1Kustaa_1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hi,
how come this simple looking model is this big? It is too big to open it appears, if try to open it the process never finishes.
Compared to other samples and my own models this is in totally different ball park sizewise.
Tagged:

Comments

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why the model is that big! I had problems importing a smaller file which was IGES , apparently this is modelled with surfaces and therefore larger. As Onshape is browser based then we are reliant on download speeds so 1GB + will take a long time!
  • Kustaa_1Kustaa_1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Perhaps imported,eh? Yeah, that could explain it ... not a great show case that file is, is it ;)

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    It must be the modelling history, because many of the public copies other users have been made (a process which loses the modelling history) are only 9MB

It may be that the history has been recently corrupted in some way because it seems unlikely there would be so many copies in the public area if it had always been that big.

I would just copy one of those 9MB public copies other users have made, if I were you. 

If a user reading this has a public copy which has not been edited in any way, perhaps they could post a link on this thread?

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    User hiding/unhiding features like plane,sketch and parts will not change the model but they are stored in history.These things may make document size bigger and bigger even if no change in model.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why the model is that big! I had problems importing a smaller file which was IGES , apparently this is modelled with surfaces and therefore larger. As Onshape is browser based then we are reliant on download speeds so 1GB + will take a long time!
    @peter_hall  Just a point of clarification... Your browser does not download the set of data pertaining to the document stored on AWS.  What your browser downloads is the graphical representation (WebGL), and even that is blurred sometimes I think depending on your device.  That 1GB document stays right where it is on AWS.  You interact with it remotely through the browser.  Onshape, please correct me if I'm wrong on these points.
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    @pete_yodis I don't know the technical stuff behind how we get the info on our screens , but I do know importing large documents (iges, step etc) takes a long time to appear on screen. Ok once it is in an onshape document then no problem it appears straight away. We are reliant on download speeds somewhere in the process. Maybe Onshape can explain, maybe it is there download speeds on interpreting designed documents from elsewhere.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @peter_hall Importing is a different story.  You need to get data from your local device up to Onshape.  That is going to be dictated in large part by your internet upload speed.  It would be the same thing if you were trying to send data to a customer or client.  IGES should not be your first choice, by the way.  It's an old format not really built for the times we are in now.  It was originally helpful for porting 2D information back and forth.  Parasolid should be your first choice if the system that output the data uses the parasolid kernel (SolidWorks, SolidEdge, NX, etc...).  STEP should be used next if the system that output the data uses something other than the parasolid kernel (CATIA, Inventor, etc...).
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    We're looking into the issue with the Sample - Wind Meter model and the comparative file size for the sample documents.  We'll keep you posted.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support