Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Version control: pruning branches?

laird_broadfieldlaird_broadfield Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
Couple of related I-can't-find:
Although I can delete a workspace, it doesn't appear to be possible to delete entire branches.
Indeed, neither can I delete intermediate versions.

Am I missing it, or is it not there?

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    There is no purge for the history.
    See earlier thread: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/755/how-to-clear-history
    //rami
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @laird_broadfield Versions are always read only because they indicates the revision of document hence cannot be deleted. In any other PDM systems such as Windchill, Team center they also have same things for their revisions. e.g. Revision A is derived from initial release, Revision B is derived from revision A and so on for next revisions. In this case deleting the revision A will not make any meaning for revision B since it has reference from A. So we cannot delete any revisions. Same concept is used in Onshape as versions.
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @shashank_aarya ...Maybe... Incremental versions are not always used and its very possible that Onshape is not using them. No need. 
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    You can delete an entire branch only if there hasn't been any saved versions within it. You can't delete a saved version. You can also make a copy of the main or any  workspace/branch. This will create a copy without any other branches and no saved versions, unfortunately all other branches and all saved versions will be removed.
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @shashank_aarya ...Maybe... Incremental versions are not always used and its very possible that Onshape is not using them. No need. 
    Suppose any version before latest is deleted, it would difficult to find the last modification before making the new version. Most of the times information from previous versions is necessary, so I feel that they should not get deleted. Also there is a high chance to lose the data created in workspace which is branched from a version to be deleted.
  • Options
    jimmy_chaungjimmy_chaung Member Posts: 1 EDU
    edited December 2015
    How do I delete an entire branch of a revision? I came here to find out, but I think the answers went on a tangent.
    Here's what I did. I saved a revision with a typo. I couldn't rename it, so I made another revision immediately after. Now, I cannot delete that one with the typo. So two issues: cannot rename revisions (found it), cannot delete branches of revision (haven't found it). I tried deleting the one without the typo also - it didn't work.