Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Great to see the Large Number of Integrated app's but no CAM

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
Really hoping someone comes to the table with an integrated CAM app. I will be ready to try if they do.
Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Comments

• jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    We do have a company working on an Integrated Cloud CAM App.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would hope to see advanced variables and bom creation where I could list parts and certain dimensions (x, y , z). And going forward run these parts (sheets in my case) into optimization engine which would show me how they fit into raw material (when producing x amount of them). And price calculation would be the cherry of the cake.

Then take all this to serve external webshop so that customers could change parameters for custom product and get instant price with 'add to cart' possibility. Manufacturer gets order with bom without any time consuming interaction with customer.

Pushing too far? I don't think so, since all the parts exist already, all we need is robust assembly =) 
    //rami
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Jon is right, we have integrated cloud partners in the works. However for now I'd recommend checking out VisualCAM if you don't already have a CAM application.. If you already own MasterCAM or CAMWorks, there is a connector for each.

Joe

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
    Rami,

Don't be surprised to see a 3D nesting solution show up in the App Store (hint).  The idea of taking parts and fitting them into a optimal arrangement and spacing for manufacturing purposes is a very useful thing. 

Joe
    @joe_dunne Nesting solution is good for custom manufacturing, I would also like to see 2D cutting optimization which has more restrictions than nesting.

How would you take part dimensions out of Onshape? In Alibre I used same parameter name for x, y (and z) so I could make column for these to BOM. It is not that simple in multi-part studio..

//rami
    Rami

Our API allows for values to be read out and written back into a document..

One great example the upcoming "Onshape BOM app for Google Sheets"...... Sorry you don't see it yet....  The hold up is on Google's side. We are waiting for them to put in in the Chrome App store. Once it's there, assuming all goes well, we can then turn it in our App Store for you to get access to.

With it you will see a google sheet extracting information from Onshape, and writing information back into Onshape... very cool.

Joe

• awkawk Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 78
    What @3dcad describes is exactly the sort of app I'd like to see people build on top of our platform. We want to try and make all the pieces you'd need to do that work well and provide people with the support to meet the demands of a novel integration between components.

We're just beginning though - and it's a journey of exploration together :-)
    Director of API, Appstore, and App Partner Technical Support
    This is getting interesting..

@joe_dunne how do you recognize which dimension is for which part? Or do I need to create multi-million variables with describing names (we surely need something to speed up that process)?

@andrew_kimpton Where can I learn more about your api? I'm not that much of a coder but I have decent skills on robot programming (sort of basic), html, sql, basic and a bit of php and js. I have built an erp from scratch and I would really much like to explore possibilities to connect erp product data with cad data..  
    //rami
  • awkawk Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 78
    We're working on making the API easier to use for individuals who just want to get started with small personal utilities and projects - hopefully that work will be finished in early 2016. In the meantime if you want to 'dive right in' and learn more about the API, the platform etc. the best start is actually with @joe_dunne - right now there's a 'sign up' process whilst the API remains private. Joe can introduce you to the process to gain access to the docs, samples etc.
    Director of API, Appstore, and App Partner Technical Support
  • mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    kinda a bummer no integrated cams to try out. means i gotta log out of osx and get on windows. That's pretty gross.
    John McConnell - Let's change things.
    Saplingstore.com
  • cwmkcwmk Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Add me to the list of people looking forward to fully-integrated CAM.

I'm also really interested in the API for the purposes of better supply-chain integration with customers. I'd like for clients to be able to share a part with me and then batch that up and schedule it into a workflow. The amount of manual labor and carrying-papers-from-person-A-to-person-B type work that occurs between part model and finished part is mind-boggling as someone with a background in software rather than manufacturing.
    cwmk

https://www.onshape.com/api-access

This is where you sign up (raise your hand). I will follow up.  We have not made the API public yet. .. So there are a few administrative tasks we need to take care of. 

Joe