Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly section view

I am having trouble creating a section view for my assembly and would appreciate help.  I have attached a screenshot that hopefully gives an indication of my approach.  I generated a mate connector and brought up the associated coordinate axes.  I think I'm supposed to click on the plane or arrow direction that I want to make the section cut.  I am interested in sectioning in the x or y directions but the only direction I am able to section-cut is in the z direction.  Thanks for any guidance.

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    You need to click/activate the front or right plane (at the top of the feature tree) prior to selecting the section view. or you may click the upper circle on the gonom z axis in your pic and rotate it before pushing the arrow in/out. HTH
  • lucymarie_manteselucymarie_mantese Member Posts: 24
    @DaVicki Thank you for your message. I don't think the planes (front, right) are showing up in my feature tree.  As in the screenshot above, in my assembly I only see access to the Origin in the list on the left.  Could you please indicate how to access the planes in the feature tree?
    Here's a vid. HTH

1.gif 783.8K
  • matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there are any base planes in assembly mode (or any planes for that matter?) for you to work from.  It may be in your best interest to make the components you have there in a single part studio, as that seems to be the recommended workflow.  I haven't been using OnShape for my day job, but in my experience from doing side projects, the single part studio works very well.
    Ya sorry, your correct. Try rotating the gnomon.

2.gif 1.8M
    @DaVicki Thank you for the video instructions.  I am able to select the various base planes if I have a part (please see upper screenshot image).  But in the assembly it doesn't look like the base planes are accessible (lower screenshot image).  I think it might be the case as @matthew_menard indicated.  But I am able to make section views for my assembly by rotating the upper circle on the gonom z axis that was your second suggestion.  Thank you.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @lucymarie_mantese

You need to edit that mate connector in origin so that you get the direction you wan't. Use move / rotate 90deg and change 'rotate about' -axis.
    Then just choose that mate connector and section view from view menu. You can change distance and angle from triad which appears in section view.

ps. Just noticed that it is not possible to select origin as entity from feature list, I will create a ticket for that.
    //rami
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ lucymarie_mantese, Section view appear in z-axis of mate connector by default.For getting other section views,

1). You have to rotate the manipulator for the required axis. or

2) Rotate the mate connector to keep z-axis of mate connector to required axis
    while creating  mate connector

@Narayan_K Thank you for the animation describing the various section views.  
  • jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 75 PRO
    I also feel a need for a clickable something in assemblies for an immediate front/top/right section cut like you can make in part studio.

This workaround with having to find a face and then rotate the view 90 degrees is cumbersome.

i've created a simple dummy Cube that I now load as a part in my assembly that i can click to create the basic section views in 1 click.

It's public: feel free to add it to your assembly as a simple work around untill the Onshape team comes up with a better UI solution for creating the base section views.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/39fb7b5a9f9514ef090f38e9/w/1218400f029cd405adfe9076/e/994a7bc158f136f4b21eb43c

• ChuckBergChuckBerg Member, csevp Posts: 6 PRO
    You are now able to create a mate connector at the origin.  Select this mate connector with the "section plane" highlighted.  You can then select the manipulators to rotate and create your section.  You are also able to create a multi-plane section in one step using this tool.
  • René_SartorioRené_Sartorio Member Posts: 58 PRO
    It would be nice if you could select the origin as the starting point for the section view.