Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What bandwidth will I need for Onshape - is 4Mb/S realistic?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General
Hello

For fairly simple models, what speed of internet connection will I need?
I currently have either c.4 or  c.10 Mbits/Sec broadband connectivity (depending on which location I am in).

e.g. In my 10 Mb/S office, I notice that loading up the tutorials can keep me waiting about 10 seconds...   :^(

Thanks

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    John - great question. The short answer is you should be fine. Onshape is very efficient when it comes to bandwidth usage. The performance of Onshape is less dependent on the size of the pipe and more on the latency. Onshape communicates in a series of short, intermittent messages - that's how 10 people at an office could be sharing this same connection with very little performance degradation.
    Experimenting with documents you create, you should see very fast open times (if not, please feel free to open a ticket and we will look at the). For some of the public documents and tutorials, the load times might be a little longer (you stated 10s) and we are working on that. 
    Onshape has opened multiple data centers around the world (most recently in Australia) to ensure that all users have the same high quality experience.
    Thank you for using Onshape :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    OK - thanks.

So far at 10Mb/s it seems reasonable. (But I'll let you know if I get unhappy!)
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    No doubt! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    I live with about 4Mbs [1] and Onshape itself is fine; once the document has loaded. Document loading and accessing the various help files is a bit slow but not so much as to be a major issue. As a sidenote, people quoting full forum entries, without cropping, before adding their reply are the major "slower downers" - it's OK to edit folks.
    [1] 2Mbs on a friend's machine is OK.
  • john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    Great - thanks  :)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I've successfully worked with Onshape using 3g connection but I can totally see the difference to my office 100/100 fiber line.. 

@philip_thomas
    Do you have listed where data centers are? Is it possible to do a speed test to nearest Onshape server?

ps. Even slightly complex models take easily 10sec to fully load in traditional desktop cad..
    //rami
    Rami - i am sending you a private message.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • mark_nance635mark_nance635 Member Posts: 1
    I am the Educational Technologist for the North Slope Borough School District.  We have 4 mb/s shared for most villages so the bandwidth would be 1 mb/s or less in the classroom.  Any tips or suggestions on getting Onshape to the most northern schools in the US?