Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding thread/gauge-dimensions for screw-holes

thomas_miglincithomas_miglinci Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
Instead of boring e.g. an 8mm-hole I want to specify a hole for an 8mm-metric screw (=M8).
I am not interested in drawing a helix or something else nor do I want to have a realistic look-a-like - but in the drawing it should be drawn/marked as a thread and with the specified diameter.

Thanx for any hint
Thomas

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @thomas_miglinci absolutely what is required. Put your request in with the feedback tool under the ? top right of the main Onshape screen. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Should be part of hole tool. Basic stuff, I'm sure it's already under development..
    //rami
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @thomas_miglinci as a work around until a better solution is integrated we do the following:

On part prints we add a comment with a leader line pointing to the tapped hole and callout the thread specs.  

In the part studio we add a comment for that feature to callout the thread specs.  Additionally we change the name of the feature to describe the threads.  Instead of "hole 1" we change it to "1/4-20" or in your case "M8."
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    @thomas_miglinci absolutely what is required. Put your request in with the feedback tool under the ? top right of the main Onshape screen. 
    It wouldn't hurt to do that, but by now I would hope that OS doesn't need any more convincing that this is an essential feature.
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    +1 for this, needs to be a high priority on development.
  • Options
    lutz_2lutz_2 Member Posts: 9
    The current hole tool already has an option "blind in last". If that would be extended to something like "thread in last" it would be only one click to make a counter-bored hole with a mating thread in the second part. 
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    lutz_2 said:
    The current hole tool already has an option "blind in last". If that would be extended to something like "thread in last" it would be only one click to make a counter-bored hole with a mating thread in the second part. 
    I *like* that idea, especially if there is a drop-down list of common screw types and thread forms.  Extra point for making the list customizable.
  • Options
    keyur_gandhikeyur_gandhi Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    my question is same as regards thomas . i was try to tapping hole i was also taken all hole iso , tap, size ,pitch.  BUT ALL OVER TAPPING HOLE NOT CREATED . IN DRAWING , ONLY SIMPLE HOLE I SAW. SO PLEASE GUIDE ME.
  • Options
    AgersensAgersens Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Tapped holes - Should have been in from the start I would have thought?