Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing capabilities still not there for me.

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
I often need to make presentation drawings for meetings or to send to clients as PDFs, the only trouble is the presentation of the drawing module in OnShape isn't quite there yet. Are there plans to upgrade (I'm sure there must be). I have attached a simple version of what I would love to see in OnShape.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi Guy - is it the shaded views that are the most important thing here or is there something else?  Drawings are getting enhancements every few weeks - I'll pass this request on to the drawings team.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    guy_4,you remind me think of a similar thing, when we creat drawings for a whole machine, for some purchased parts, supplier will give us PDF files which record some profile dimensions,installation dimensions and some other technical data, now we can import these PDF  files into a document in which the whole machine is, but if we want to creat some drawings with these PDF files, and add some extra technical requirement to these purchased parts , it could not be done ! So is it a possible that inserting a PDF file into a drawing ?
  • david_mcmahondavid_mcmahon Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Probably my biggest issue with drawings right now is that you can't snap to a lot of drawing geometry to create dimensions. For instance, you can't snap to centerlines which is a big problem for me. There is just a lot model geometry that can't be dimensioned.
    leg.png 154.2K
  • LumenLumen Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    add a single point at that centre and use that ?

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited January 2016
    Let's keep this thread going.  What else in drawings do people need.  We're listening...
  • rtdupreertdupree OS Professional Posts: 8
    I would like to be able to add a section view without needing to have the "parent" view on the same drawing sheet; or, at times, in the drawing at all. I would also like to be able to see a section of a part within a detail view without having to first create a full section view.
  • dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    edited January 2016
    @Lumen , you offer a workaround, but ANY object or centerlines, or endpoint or midpoint should be selectable for dimensioning.  Also, intersections should be selectable as in the case of @david_mcmahon 's example.
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    tagging on here.....
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I'm still waiting for my initial critical request's to be addressed before going down the list with details.
    I very much like Onshape but I'm not paying $1200 for a cad system that I can't create a professional drawing with.
    I would also need to be able to find my documents within the silly document list that now exist.

Thanks
    Dave
    I'd love to continue this discussion. I really like what I see in Onshape so far but have not been able to seriously consider it yet due to the drawing package. Here is another example. Extrude an ellipse and then radius the edges.

keep them coming folks... We think we are aware of what's needed, but it's helpful to ensure we are not missing anything.  It's also helpful for prioritizing what we should deliver in the proper order.  We love to hear the feedback.  Please keep pushing us.
    @_Dave_ Can you post a link to your critical list here in this thread?
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited January 2016
    The list of improvements for drawings is long. Some of mine in no particular order are:

Virtual sharps, 
    Dimensioning to shape's produced by projected spline's (without the workaround of splitting faces)
    View's displayed as shaded
    Ability to insert a picture to a drawing
    PCD, no easy workaround
    Better ways to add lines and points connected to view geometry for dimensioning, so at least you could have a workarounds for the likes of PCD dimensioning. 
    Properties/meta data linked to template. No typing of part description, part no.,etc,
    Paste to table, so I can copy out of a excel spread sheet into a table, or even better a link to a google sheet segment displayed in a drawing table.
    Balloon linked to parts and BOM's. Balloon linked to part to display item no. or meta data.

Speed, I thinks it's getting better, but I have had issues in the past with very slow drawings.

Sure I've missed heaps but these are the ones that come to mind.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Thanks @brucebartlett .  I know it's been hashed before, but I thought this thread could be a good aggregation and a time stamp of today in time.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would need:

- Exactly the same drawing-, constraining- and dimension tools as we have in sketch mode (same toolbar, same snapping rules etc.).
    - All standard tools that you would expect from industry level mcad.
    - Perfect handling for dwg/dxf
    +
    - Easily add multiple assemblies to same drawing (product list)
    - Embed drawings to external website with live link to version (product dimension image in website)
    - Drawing profiles/templates which enables the ability to create 'one click' drawing from similar models. For example if I create profile for say a cabinet and model 12 new cabinets using same variable names I would like to be able to quickly have similar drawings with dimensions, detail views etc. of each. Does this make any sense?
    //rami
    edited January 2016
     I don't have a list. But I sent a lot of feedback months ago. I'm sure you all know whats needed after all the the Solidworks Guys.

I just wanted to rant because I like Onshape put can't use it publicly. I wish it was advanced enough to warrant the $100/month.

Sorry to interrupt, I'll be patiently waiting.

Dave 
    Makes perfect sense @3dcad
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    I would like to be able to set up a fully rendered view from ANY angle and add notes, take sections views, crop and zoom, make a legend/key etc.
    I would also like the title block to have linked text boxes that are auto filled from the file name and the part materials and other linked information set up in the part studio. Text boxes that are linked across many sheets, such as Client and drawn date and revision/issue dates so there is a global control. This would mean just updating one field and have to show up across all sheets, a real time saver.

Being able to set up a views from any angle and any render mode is really important but all the above can turn a Technical Drawing into a presentation Drawing for non-CAD users who need to see a drawing that explains the design.Extremely useful for meetings and getting the point across.

Bringing in JPEGs and PDFs into a drawing is also a big one, especially for things like external costings from manufacturing. Being able to display that kind of information on a 'good-looking' information sheet is invaluable. It's about delivering information to clients in an understandable and pleasant looking manner.
    I think OnShape will become my future CAD package and the 3D modelling is great but I need to communicate in an impressive looking way with the client!!!

Looking forward to future updates
    ....one other point, sometimes transparency in the rendering can be extremely useful, allowing you to see whats going on inside!
    I agree with all of the above comments. Another issue for me is that drawing performance on iOS (loading, panning, zooming, etc.) is way too slow. It would also be cool if iOS supported creating drawings.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Broken Drawing Views is another big one 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    My wish list was published a couple of day ago here:  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/2417/quick-straw-pole-how-are-you-using-onshape#latest

The list is general but includes a lot of wished for drawing items.
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    All of the suggestions above with a major focus on performance.  Drawings are super sluggish and slow.  

Quick question:  on a cylindrical part with internal features like a bore, counterbore, ID groove and a chamfer.  Can we dimension these features by selecting hidden edge lines?  I always have to create a section view to be able to create a dimension on a hidden edge.  Maybe I'm not doing something right.  

@guy_4 Would it be better to have dimension / annotation capability in named views? This is something I've been dreaming for some time..
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1039/enhancement-for-named-views
    //rami
    @coleman Performance is a major focus of ours.  Please keep that feedback coming as we roll out new releases.
    @PeteYodis
    As 'one of us' do you think Onshape took the best path choosing 3rd party module for drawings?
    //rami
    @3dcad That was my 2nd thought When drawings first came out. I hope we don't get stuck with a 3rd rate drawings package. I understand that it took SW years to develop drawings so we should expect the same here. For the price tag I would expect a bit more.

• dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    Just to be clear, SolidWorks had drawings from day-1.  I used the first version, SWX1995.  Granted, the drawings package went through a lot of improvements over the years, but it rolled out with part, assembly, and drawing files dynamically connected.
    Yep, also Alibre struggled with drawings like 10 years to get it right (features+stability+performance)
    //rami
    I know is completely different sort of CAD software package but Vectorworks has some fantastic presentation tools in its repertoire. Real freedom to create graphic and technical drawings and as most of the people who I deal with don't how to read a technical drawing the graphic side is really important. (A picture tells a thousands words and all that.....)