Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Multiple parts DXF Export issue

salvo_musumecisalvo_musumeci Member Posts: 1
edited January 2016 in Drawings
Hello All,
I'm working on a plexiglass box that I'd like to realize cutting 3mm plexiglass sheet.
So, I created parts for each part of box: bottom, top, left, back, right, front.
Then I created a drawing with all parts using a blank template and I exported it in dxf file to send to supplier for cutting.

I don't know why, maybe I'm wrong, If i try to open DXF exported file, it results empty. Also, if I re-import it in onShape, I have the same result.

Goal is to have all pieces in the same sheet without too much space in between for cost saving.
Can someone help me to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Salvo

Comments

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @salvo_musumeci ,Currently whenever drawing is exported to DXF and DWG, drawing views are lost after importing again in Onshape. But drawing views are retained only when the drawing is exported to PDF. Exported DXF and DWG from drawing should retain all the details in drawing including views whenever imported back as in other CAD platforms such as Solid-works and Creo.

At this point of time in Onshape there is no workaround in this case apart from exporting PDF. You can raise improvement request for this. In future we hope that this facility will be provided by Onshape.

• jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    Yes, we are having a problem with re-importing of our own views right now.  It can make sense to report it as a bug even if we are already aware of it, as it can help with prioritizing.

As for the export, it could be that your DXF viewer defaults you to model space (if your viewer shows a black background instead of white, it's most likely showing model space).   Our views go to paper space by default.  We are planning to give you more export options to control this, but for now your best bet is to see if you can switch to paper space in your DXF viewer.  You should find the views there.