Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Who's watching?

neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
While working on private documents in OnShape, every once in a while I'm seeing an indicator appear in the upper righthand corner of my document window signaling that an OnShape employee/consultant has opened the drawing I'm currently working in. The indicator quickly goes away, but not before I'm able to mouse over it to see the user's name. 

Can somebody help me understand why this is happening?

- Bob

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I notice a little flash in the upper right hand corner also, but is too fast for me.  I thought I might of had a bug/virus or something working in the back ground. Hmm, maybe not. I quite surprised to hear this, certainly doesn't help my ITAR concerns.

_Dave_
  • walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    While working on private documents in OnShape, every once in a while I'm seeing an indicator appear in the upper righthand corner of my document window signaling that an OnShape employee/consultant has opened the drawing I'm currently working in. The indicator quickly goes away, but not before I'm able to mouse over it to see the user's name. 

Can somebody help me understand why this is happening?

- Bob

who's the user's name?
  • neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
    I think it would be inappropriate of me to say who without a better understanding of why.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Big Brother
    I don't have an issue personally but the fact (if true) that this is even possible is a real concern for IP and ITAR. I certainly feel someone should address this and confirm that it isn't actually possible and that there's a legitimate explanation for this apparent glitch.
    _Dave_ 
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @bob_krause  Is this Document shared with that person?  Is it shared with Onshape support?  They frequently open docs shared with them to troubleshoot issues.

You can remove share permissions from anyone (including support) from the Share dialog. 
    edited January 2016
    First of all, let's not make more of this with so little information.

but, no, I haven't explicitly shared the document with any one. I'll confirm sharing settings when I return to my next.
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    A user can open the same document in multiple tabs and he will appear as collaborating as himself.  Under bad connection if a user session disconnects and you reload the page you might see yourself as a collaborator for a brief period.

Are you sure it is not just you and somebody else ?  In any event you can just open a support ticket with the documentId in which you have this problem mentioning the time you had this issue and Onshape can see if there has been any unauthorized access
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2016
    Since no one has specifically stated this, an Onshape employee cannot see the contents or even the names of your documents without your explicit consent.
    It is much more likely that you are 'collaborating with yourself'. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I have also observed the collaboration icon, but in all cases it has been me collaborating with myself as a result of refreshing due to Onshape hanging in some operation. Doesn't happen very often, though (but when it does, it is really annoying).

Thanks for the update. But I don't recall explicitly giving OnShape Support access to this document. Truth be told, I've never shared a document and as yet have no idea how to. How is it that the support team has access? If access is granted by default, then I'd suggest this be changed immediately for obvious reasons.

- Bob
    Thanks for the clarity guys, I assumed as much.
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    The default is not shared with support. You (your user ID) shared the document with support at 2016-01-19T15:47:59.304Z.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    I have also observed the collaboration icon, but in all cases it has been me collaborating with myself as a result of refreshing due to Onshape hanging in some operation. Doesn't happen very often, though (but when it does, it is really annoying).
    I have noticed that if (for whatever reason) I end up opening my model on my phone at the same time as I have it open in a browser on my computer, I will get the icon saying that I'm looking at my own documents.  Just throwing that out there as a reason somebody might see the icon.
    John, does opening a support ticket implicitly result in the document being shared with support?
    Wait! You're right. Now I remember checking that box as I opened the support ticket granting support access to the document. Sorry for the confusion.

I want to say to everybody reading this posting that I'm comfortable with the explanations I've received related to this issue and impressed with the team's workflow, support and response. I'm also glad to hear that the team's already developing an alternative means to check the status of user documents that protect confidentiality and mitigate users' confusion.

Thanks.

- Bob
  • tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

@john_rousseau you might want to consider implementing something that automatically unshares the document when a support ticket is closed. 

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I just checked with Lou (head of support) - we do do this.
    Once a week we run a script that automatically removes support from shared documents that no longer have an open ticket against them.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    It can be very annoying if Onshape hangs while creating new sketch, with refresh you will see yourself in state of creating something new but there is no way to go back to that unfinished sketch.

I have sometimes bumped into Onshape support (real person) working on my document (which I have shared to support and I'm glad they actually open these and try to help). They usually 'run away' really fast, I suppose that's the policy not to disturb me working.
    Actually sometimes I would like them to stick around and maybe even follow to see if they can reproduce some anomaly I have reported.
    But even more, I'd like to have simple chat to say hello and maybe say 'I'm only here to check one dimension, you can continue troubleshooting' - or 'I need to work, can you please come back later? '
    //rami
  • dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    Wow, really?  I can't imagine they would actually be working on your file directly.  If anything I'd think they'd make a copy to use for their trials before touching your file with any efforts.
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    edited January 2016
    Hi Dennis. We often do make copies of a document (again, only when shared with support) if we want to make any changes. Many times we want to see a reported failure for ourselves and that just involves rolling forward and backward in history and maybe retrying an operation. We are careful to not make changes to a user's document.

What are these "file" things you speak of? :-) 
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    Okay, so I'm not fully indoctrinated into the cloud vernacular.  I'm only sipping the Kool-Aid at this point, full gulps are still down the road a bit.  My reference to file should have been part or document I guess.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited January 2016
    Sometimes copying might fix the problem if it's only with certain document. And I suppose also support will lose the history and other versions/branches if they make a copy? 
    I think it's one of the great benefits that Onshape support can troubleshoot exactly the same situation where problems occur - I've always hated when sending copy of trad.cad file to support and get update after a week or so that everything was ok - no problems found on that file.
    //rami

What are these "file" things you speak of? :-) 
    _Dave_
     LOL
        :)