Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

BRANCHES IN HISTORY TREE

vern_sawyervern_sawyer Member Posts: 3
is there a way to create a branch in the history tree of a part?  coming from catia v5 it's very handy sometimes to break out a chunk of your model and work on it like its a sub-entity and then add it to the main body when its complete.  can this be done in onshape?

Comments

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ vern_sawyer, Once you save a work space as version then you can branch it.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @vern_sawyer
    Please remind that version and branch is document wide, it will contain all tabs you have in your document.
    //rami
  • vern_sawyervern_sawyer Member Posts: 3
    thanks narayan and 3dcad.  i think my use of the term BRANCH might not have been a good one.  that was good information to know but not what i was looking for.  i'm new to onshape so correct me if i'm wrong but BRANCH here seems to be a way to create another version of your part, sort of like a "What if we did this instead" situation.  what i was looking for was a way to actually add another working branch/part in the existing part studio, similar to what can be done in catia v5.  hopefully this chunk of a catia v5 tree makes more sense than my rambling.  the added bodies in the pic aren't the greatest example because you can have many features in them not just one like are in this pic.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    There is a lot of discussion on how to group feature tree instances, the 'problem' is Onshapes ability to reuse sketches and create multiple parts with single feature.
    //rami