Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to center a sketch on a face?

peter_loronpeter_loron Member Posts: 5
I have a part I'm working on which has an extrusion with a rectangular face. I'm trying to sketch a circle on that face, so I can extrude a cylinder from it (dowel pin). I have the circle drawn on the face in a sketch, but I can't see any way to tell it to be centered relative to the face. I'm sure this is simple, but I just can't find it. 
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi Peter - Draw two centerlines from the center of the circle to the edges of the rectangle (one horizontal, one vertical) and attach the ends of those lines to the midpoints of the rectangular edges.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Even simpler is to draw the diagonal of the rectangle and center the circle on its midpoint.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Or an even simpler way is to "wake up" the midpoints of both edges of the rectangle as you are placing the centerpoint of the circle. Beat that Ilya.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    @ilya_baran the way to beat @NeilCooke for lowest effort on your part is: have @NeilCooke do it for you (giving you zero clicks or drags!)!
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @henry_feldman wins!  :)
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • peter_loronpeter_loron Member Posts: 5
    Thanks!