Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I sketch on the side of an extrusion?

peter_loronpeter_loron Member Posts: 5
I have a sketched circle which I have extruded into a cylinder. I can start a new sketch and select the circular face of the cylinder as the surface for the new sketch, but I do not seem to be able to select the wall or side of the cylinder as a sketching surface.

How can I add to the side? For example, I want to add a pipe coming out the side of the cylindrical tank...

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    I would create a plane tangent to your curved surface. Draw a circle on this plane, extrude two ways outward from your curved surface and inward so it gos into your curved surface.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    Or if you sketched the circle on the origin, you can use any of the two default planes that intersect the cylinder axis to sketch on, then extrude outwards.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI