Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Buggy DXF output

nick_johnson408nick_johnson408 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in Product Feedback
I'm trying to use Onshape's support for exporting faces to DXF to do some lasercutting, but getting some really weird results. Certain features - so far, always circles - either appear in the wrong place, or don't appear at all. For an example, see the DXF export of this part - one of the screw holes is entirely missing. I suspect it has something to do with mirrored features, but I can't be certain.

Also, onshape exports to DXF in inches, and doesn't give you the option to change that. Many tools, including my lasercutter, require mm, which adds a tiresome scaling step to the process. It'd be really awesome if you could add support for selecting drawing units (and remembering my choice). Of course, better lasercutter DXF export in general would also be really great.

Comments

• Options
    Apologies, the missing holes seem to be my fault - not enough constraints, and they got mirrored outside the solid shape, so didn't show up. The issue with in/mm is still a problem, though!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Nope - the buggy holes are a real thing - here's an example: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56ded862e4b054e11c27e8ed/w/c82cc85c7f5c666a9f3b931a/e/d4c7e513b05ffaa2afd96655 . The left and right mounting holes both appear on the left when exported to DXF. The part 'Front' is also missing one of the large circular cutouts.

And, even more confusing, setting the exported version to 2013 doesn't fix the bugs - but it does change the dimension it's exported in from inch to mm!
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Nick - i have spoken to a couple of my drawings colleagues and while we have tested the dxf out (and found the arcs to be in the right place), we would like you to open two support tickets (one for each of these issues - the units and the circles) so that we can dig into this further. Thank you for your support of Onshape.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape