Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sketch: moving Spline shape to exact distance from another shape

daniel_bozinovdaniel_bozinov Member Posts: 2
edited March 2016 in Drawings
I sketched a closed shape out of splines, which I want to move to an exact vertical distance from another separate sketch. When I use the distance button and highlight the two relevant horizontal lines, I can update the current distance (say 13.185 mm) to the desired one (i.e. 15.0 mm). However, only the selected horizontal line in my shape moves further away, the other splines of the shape stay where they are and the shape is now disrupted (meaning it can't be selected anymore to extrude etc). How can I move the entire shape of connected splines to a given position? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan 

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @daniel_bozinov - not sure exactly what you mean? If you could make your doc public or add images it would be clearer. You can select your sketch entities then right click and select transform to move sketch entities. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    edited March 2016
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @daniel_bozinov - not sure exactly what you mean? If you could make your doc public or add images it would be clearer. You can select your sketch entities then right click and select transform to move sketch entities. 
    You can use transform to move the sketch entity, but I can't find a way to move it exactly.  Transform for sketch doesn't have the same X,Y,Z, or Rotate inputs for controls as transform for parts does.   The transform for Sketches is a great addition to tools, but it seems unfinished 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    For sure we are missing "snap to entity" and "rotate precisely" features in the transform tool - if you could add your request as an enhancement through the feedback tool the faster it will get implemented, thanks.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • daniel_bozinovdaniel_bozinov Member Posts: 2
    I must have accidently removed some constraints ("full connectedness") of my shape, so the distance to a reference line only shifted one spline instead of the whole shape. I went back to an early version and now it worked. As chris_8 mentioned, the transform is not exact or doesn't snap to something. Sketching a more complex shape seems not quite complete yet. Is there a way to either test or ensure whether a sketch shape is broken somehow? A fuse function would be nice.