Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Specifying hole depth in drawings?

michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
How is one expected to specify hole depth in a drawing?  Hole condition (depth, countersink, etc) in callouts aren't implemented yet and it looks like you can't dimension to the hidden lines in a drawing when they are "revealed" either.  Is manual entry in the hole callout the only available option right now?

Comments

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    And as a follow up, how does one call out hole threads ibn drawings?  The thread spec can be placed in the line before or after the hole diameter callout, but there doesn't seem to be any way to delete the actual hole diameter line, so you get something like this:

"6x1 mm thread, through
                Φ 5 mm"

where the "5 mm" part is the the standard minor diameter for a 6x1 mm hole.  I'd like to eliminate the second line from my drawings. Is there a way to do that?

• john_mcculloughjohn_mccullough Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 38
    You are correct that feature callouts are not implemented. Related to holes, currently (rel-1.45) Onshape drawings can only create associative dimensions for the radius or diameter of an arc or circle in a view. Other information in a hole feature like threads, depth, etc. can be added as text - either using the Note with leader command or adding text to the radial/diameter dimension. 

Thanks John.  In the case of threaded holes, the only useful approach appears to be "Note with leader".  Adding text to the existing hole callout doesn't seem like a good solution since the threaded hole callout automatically includes the minor diameter as indicated in my followup above.  Not a huge problem, but I'm looking forward to fully-featured hole callouts.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @michael3424 In the case of non threaded holes, a section view could be created to show the depth and profile of the resulting hole.  All dimensions placed in this section view would be associative to the model changes.  Obviously it requires more space on the drawing and an extra step, but it might be superior to a non-associative note.  In the meantime I have added you to the request for hole callouts in drawings.
    Thanks Pete - that's a decent work-around until call-outs are enhanced.