Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hole Table

PDPD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
I just completed a project for an electrical panel layout.  The sub panel has over 100 holes in it.  Trying to ordinate dimension it is fine, but it becomes very busy and often difficult to see what hole the leader is pointing to.  I would love to see a couple of features added.

1. Have the ability to hide part features to make the page less busy.  For example: Create all my 10-32 tapped holes at once.  Hide all other features in my drawing to only show those holes to make the dimensioning clear.
2. Have the ability to do a hole callout (maybe this exists but I couldn't find it). In other words when I dimension a hole it knows its a 10-32 tapped hole since it was created using the hole tool.
3. Include a hole table feature like in SW.  It's really handy when you have sea of holes.  A table is generated with the x/y coordinate, the type of hole it is, and an identifier.  The machine shop really likes this since it eliminates any confusion.

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for all of this
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @_Dave_ @PD and others... Do you often need a new 0-0 position for each view you tie a hole table to in a drawing?  I'd like to hear some thoughts from our community on this one.
  • PDPD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    @PeteYodis I think it likely depends on the situation.  For me it's much like ordinate dimensioning.  Your 0-0 changes based on if it needs to be your datum.  I think the freedom to establish a 0-0 for a view is important.  
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    edited May 2016
    Thanks @PD  Are your parts typically multi-faceted?  I am looking for the criteria in what drives that decision. 
  • PDPD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    @PeteYodis no not usually.  For the most part once the datum is established, the coordinates can be taken from there.  Typically since the holes are all CNC drilled, the one 0,0 corner is fine.  You would just have to have the ability to determine that feature.  For example, I wouldn't want to be forced to dimension from the edge since the edge might be stamped or bent and therefore not that accurate.  I would likely want to set my datum off of an initial hole or perhaps some other machined feature.  I included a corner of my drawing as an example.  You can see that dimensioning from the edges would not be repeatable.

• daniel_peetersdaniel_peeters Member Posts: 1
    Hello There, I am new here in OS... first thing I encounter in drawing mode is the callout function as well as eventually a hole table possibility.
    but i must admit as a first time OS user it works quite intuitive... keep up the good work....