Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape and Your Favorite Device

pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
I'm trying to get an informal poll of what devices people are using Onshape with and if possible their favorite.  Also, what browser you use.  I am mostly Windows desktops at the moment (windows 7, 8.1, and 10 preview) - work related.  I like Firefox the best because of a higher gain on the scroll wheel for zooming.  Anyone willing to share?

Comments

• julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    I use three systems, primarily:
    1. Desktop PC (CAD workstation - 16GB RAM, 12 core, Quadro GFX), Chrome, Win 7. My current favorite - performance is noticeably smoother than on other systems, for a variety of reasons.
    2. Convertible laptop (Sony Vaio Flip 13 - 8 GB RAM, 4 core, embedded graphics), Chrome, Win 8.1. I also run Ubuntu with Chrome, which is great but has had weird graphics bugs, historically.
    3. iPhone 6, native app. Mostly for viewing models on the go: actual design is doable, but very slow. Still, it continues to blow my mind every time I pull up a model and sketch out some concept design changes while I'm on the T (subway here in Boston) 
  • LucianoLuciano Member Posts: 4
    -HP Desktop with ATI graphics running Linux.
    I normally use Chrome but it crashed sometimes with Webgl/OnShape.
    OnShape works fine on Firefox/Linux.
    -Nexus 7 with Android 5.0.2
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I've been using OS on my Lenovo via Chrome on Win 8.1.
    I'm anxiously awaiting the Android release so I can try it on my Nexus 7 and my HTC One M8.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @FastwayJim What's your Lenovo device?  Yoga?
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Nope, I have a juiced up G710.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    2014 Macbook Pro, usually running Linux (Arch or Ubuntu) or Win8.1 
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Macbook Pro Retina (12 months old) with 27" second display.Safari.
    iPad 4.

Also played on Windows with Chrome and Firefox. But tend to use just on Mac.

on the Macbook it runs very well on the big screen, just as smoothly as on Windows, which as a Mac CAD user you might appreciate as being unusual
    @Traveler Hauptman What is your draw to Linux?  Can you enlighten me?
  • clem_1clem_1 Member Posts: 8
    Win 8.1 desktop and chrome half the time and struggling through it with a M$ surface and chrome the other half of the time.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Desktop: Macbook Pro/Chrome - Ubuntu/Chrome and Chrombook Pixel
    Mobile: iPhone 6, Nexus 7, iPad Air and nVidia Sheild
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    What a cool collection of devices.  Sounds like fodder for an upcoming blog post...
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @Pete Yodis Mostly I'm a linux type of personality (A technogeek that is comforted by the fact that if something is not working, I can fix it myself if I really need to). Professionally I spend a chunk of my time developing real-time controls, where I'm using the xenomai real-time kernel which is always paired with linux. I do quite a bit of programming and find linux to be much friendlier than windows for developing software. 

I don't have anything against windows or osx though. I use Windows for CAD and some development (python & C#). I use osx to call my mom on facetime....  
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Macbook pro, Chrome and my iPhone and iPad. I use them all but would say the Macbook wins and second to the iPad
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Pete Yodis Everything is fodder for a blog post, chance to tinker..
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Ben said:
    What is your blog @Pete Yodis ?

@Ben I'm not a blogger myself.  Just thought those yet un-initiated to the Onshape realm would find it neat to see what devices people can now design on.
    @Pete Yodis Mostly I'm a linux type of personality (A technogeek that is comforted by the fact that if something is not working, I can fix it myself if I really need to). Professionally I spend a chunk of my time developing real-time controls, where I'm using the xenomai real-time kernel which is always paired with linux. I do quite a bit of programming and find linux to be much friendlier than windows for developing software. 

I don't have anything against windows or osx though. I use Windows for CAD and some development (python & C#). I use osx to call my mom on facetime....  

@Traveler Hauptman  Thanks.  Makes sense. So you the like the MacBook because it affords the opportunity to run any OS.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Desktop: Macbook Pro - Chrome/Safari, Dell Precision M6800 - Chrome
    Mobile: iPad 3, IPad Mini 3, No phone use yet but will be on iPhone 5c.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    @Pete Yodis The macbook is just nice hardware. I was equally divided between hp, dell, and lenovo workstation laptops last fall. HP was pretty universally unliked. Lenovo made the bonehead move of putting their keyboard off-center to accommodate a number pad (leading to ergonomics complaints) and so I was going to go for the Dell. Dell has a big markup in New Zealand so I was going to "import" one myself on my next trip to the US. Then I discovered that the macbook pro had almost as good specs (better if you prefer portability over expandability) and Apple charges the same price for their products internationally and has worldwide service irrespective of where you purchase it, which made it a lot cheaper than the dell... 
    ;)Lou_Gallo said:
    @Pete Yodis Everything is fodder for a blog post, chance to tinker..

I hear you.
    edited February 2015
    @Pete Yodis The macbook is just nice hardware. I was equally divided between hp, dell, and lenovo workstation laptops last fall. HP was pretty universally unliked. Lenovo made the bonehead move of putting their keyboard off-center to accommodate a number pad (leading to ergonomics complaints) and so I was going to go for the Dell. Dell has a big markup in New Zealand so I was going to "import" one myself on my next trip to the US. Then I discovered that the macbook pro had almost as good specs (better if you prefer portability over expandability) and Apple charges the same price for their products internationally and has worldwide service irrespective of where you purchase it, which made it a lot cheaper than the dell... 

@Traveler Hauptman  I wouldn't mind seeing New Zealand someday. Beautiful place it looks to be.

Ahh.  Didn't know that about International pricing.  Here in the US the pricing is reversed.  MacBook has had the lead on hardware for a while and people paid extra for it, understandably so.  Lately the pack seems to be catching up a bit while at a competitive price point.  I kind of like the surface pro 3 and the new 13" Dell laptop.  I think for heavy Onshape use I'll still want a 64bit machine/OS/browser with plenty of RAM,  solid state drive, and decent graphics computation.  I do notice a smoothness difference on hardware, not that I have tried a lot of hardware.  Don't  get me wrong OS runs on pretty well on low end stuff, but hardware is still hardware at some point.