Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

export entire face to dxf

bryan_graybryan_gray Member Posts: 2
I can export a face to dxf if all the geometry is on the same plane. I designed a simple say paddle that has 8 through holes and 2 that go down a .25 inch. I can export this fine. when I put a rectangle around the holes and remove a 10th of an inch of material and try and export the face it just gives me the outer profile and the rectangle. if I export to solidworks and export dxf from there its all there but that would mean that I have to have solidworks to export all the geometry needed from the part. I typically design from the top plane. Is there any way to select and export all the geometry from the top view for cnc 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Not exactly sure what you mean here, to best of my knowledge if you select the same face in SolidWorks you will get the same result. Or are you selecting multiple face's at different depths and getting a result from SW's but not from Onshape? I haven't got SolidWorks handy so can't try myself.

Best solution in Onshape would be to project the outlines you want onto a sketch, most likely on the top face using the "use" tool and export the sketch as a dxf.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    bryan_graybryan_gray Member Posts: 2
    I guess I haven't done any projections. in solidworks it is not needed though. I would pick top plane and then select export dxf and any geometry no matter what plane it is on will be exported. Freecad also works like this. I don't understand why this is not working. here is a test file https://cad.onshape.com/documents/20d9149a4fcf49cba24585a3/w/94c607b83a2b424cb577367f/e/05a3d2f0a19248758ae2aff1  There is a rectangle and another rectangle with a .2inch cut taken out and a center hole. When I export the face I only get the 2 rectangles and not the center hole. how would I project all the geometry to one plane for dxf export?
  • Options
    daniel_baileydaniel_bailey Member Posts: 7
    This is a problem for me too!
    How do I do it!!!???
  • Options
    daniel_baileydaniel_bailey Member Posts: 7
    This is easy to do if you have only one sketch that is creating the geometry on the face as you can export the sketch.
    However if you have more than one, as I do, then you have to export them all and line them up in some other CAD software.
    OH MY! Heaven forbid I should need to rely on other CAD software! :smile:

• Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    This is a problem for me too!
    How do I do it!!!???
    The way I do it is project onto a new sketch and export that sketch to DXF, as brucebartlett suggested above.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University