Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to make drawings faster?

onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
Typing notes on drawings takes about 1 second per character. It's slowing things down a lot. Is there a known way to bring speed up to a usable level? Cheers.

Also, how do I insert special fields like variables such as first name, last name, date, that sort of thing.

Cheers

Answers

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @onshaper  I added you to the improvement for making text editing faster on drawings.  We are also working on insert fields as well.
  • Options
    john_mcculloughjohn_mccullough Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 38
    When typing notes in drawings you may have noticed that filled fonts are significantly slower than stroke fonts. 
  • Options
    michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
    I too have noticed excessively slow speeds while editing text in drawings.  Not sure this makes any sense, but would a faster graphics card improve the situation?
  • Options
    @michael_mcewen We are working on text improvement with regards to performance.  A more capable graphics card is not the bottleneck here.  The improvement here is likely within the span of weeks away, and not months.  The current issue is exacerbated by high latency connections and the improvements here will make that compounding factor pretty irrelevant.  For the near term you may want to ensure nothing is affecting the latency on your connection.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Just as a temporary frig if it's rebuilding after every character perhaps it would be quicker to type longer comments into notepad and then paste in in one dollop?

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Thanks Pete.  Which connections exactly could cause latency? You think my wireless mouse is contributing?
  • Options
    Thanks Owen.  I'll try that.
  • Options
    @michael_mcewen  I was not referring to your wireless mouse or keyboard.  I was referring to your connection between your device and onshape severs.  It's mostly related to your internet connection, but there are other factors that can interfere from time to time- things such as firewalls and certain extensions in the browser.  For most people this is not an issue, but just something for you to consider.  As always, using the feedback tool is certainly a good way to raise an issue like this.  We can investigate with you and help you evaluate things and assign an issue if needed.
  • Options
    Thanks for explaining Pete.  I'm more familiar with the term in relationship to audio recording :)