Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Relative motion between gears

sandeep_1sandeep_1 Member Posts: 3
When we will have relative motion between gears at present we are not able to see those relations.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    You are looking for gear mates correct?  Currently we do not have them but I will add you to the improvement request.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Can you add me to this one, please, @LouGallo ? Thanks!

Even if you guys just gave us a tangent mate, I could fake it (with two surface cylinders, that subsequently get hidden).
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @LouGallo is there a Ticket for tangent mate? If so add me on. I would very rarely use the gear mate but can see its benefits, however could get away with out it. Last time I use it was on a mower drive train, handy to ensure everything was turning the right way. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    This is a little teaser I showed last week during This Week in Onshape. What I can tell you is its a very clean, simple implementation. There are lots of details still to work out.  So I cannot give ETA....  Hopefully you will be able to use it for yourselves in not too distant of a time. 

Joe

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    We need more of these teasers!
    Anyone with me?

Dries
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @Dries Yes and No. Yes I want but No I don't want to wait, so better not knowing. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • clem_1clem_1 Member Posts: 8
    @LouGallo is there a Ticket for tangent mate? If so add me on. I would very rarely use the gear mate but can see its benefits, however could get away with out it. Last time I use it was on a mower drive train, handy to ensure everything was turning the right way. 
    Hopefully this comes with a rack and pinion mate.
  • murray_1murray_1 Member Posts: 19
    What about chain and belt mates? Are they in the pipeline?
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Can't wait! I have a really cool positive displacement pump that I want to build in OS...
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Murray chain/belt/gear would be similar.  We are working to add many of these in the near term.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I got all excited imagining mating to a parametric position along an arbitrary closed curve and creating a relationship between that and other mate parameters. Because that must be what a belt/chain mate is right? How else could you deal clasps and other elements attached to the belts, or weight induced sag?... But sadly I see the state of the art (well the state of the SolidWorks anyway) is much more boring than that. A gear mate with a solver for the belt length. Oh well... imagination 0 reality 1
  • clem_1clem_1 Member Posts: 8
    @Traveler Hauptman Ah the ol path mate.  One of my favorites.