Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

variables

CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
Renaming a variable should not break every feature that uses the variable. I can't imagine what reasoning or technical issue would have lead to variables being implemented in their current manner.

The way the code should have been written, is that every variable has a unique ID which is not shown to the user. The name is simply a property of the variable, which is shown, and so a change to the name, is then reflected in every reference.

I should not have to manually fix every feature that uses a variable just because I needed to update the name.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    This would be nice. I would also like variables to live outside the feature tree and be available to use in any feature regardless of when the variable was added.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Totally agree with @CaptainBisquick

I suppose this first iteration of variables is to examine and collect information to create perfect local+global variables to fill the most of needs. Just add feedback ticket to Onshape with any concern so it will be considered when they develop next version of variables..
    //rami
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @CaptainBisquick We agree.  I have added you all to the improvement.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.