Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Keyboard shortcuts, Have you found them?

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
If you are like me and use keyboard shortcuts a lot, hopefully you have found our keyboard shortcuts map. Ultimately we are going to be looking at customization in the future, however currently we have a set of keyboard shortcuts that can speed up your Onshape experience!

Like most web applications, you can hit '?' (shift+the '?/' key) when in a document to show the keyboard shortcuts map quickly. Hit '?' again to dismiss it or click anywhere outside the map. If you like to have them displayed as a reference, clicking the pop-out icon (angled arrow in the upper right) will open the map in a new browser window. You can also access this from the ? menu in the upper right by clicking on "Keyboard shortcuts".

The shortcuts change based on where you are in Onshape (i.e. sketching, Part Studio, Assemblies). Here are a few of my favorite:
  • (p) hide/show planes
  • (n) normal to
  • (shift + s) save a version

Part Studio:
  • (s) New sketch
  • (e) Extrude
  • (r) Rovolve
  • (p) New Plane

Sketching:
  • (l) line
  • (c) circle
  • (r) rectangle (whichever one is active)
  • (d) dimension
  • (e) equal relation
  • (t) tangent relation
  • (i) coincident

Assembly:
  • (m) mate (launches it in Fixed but you can change it)
This makes it incredibly fast. Here is my common workflow:
  1. Select a face
  2. Hit n (normal to)
  3. Hit s (New sketch)
  4. Hit r or c or l (new rectangle or circle or line)
  5. Hit d (dimension)
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Yay! Shortcuts! I love 'em.

Some unsolicited comments: I use shortcuts to speed up my work. As with touch typing there are significant speed benefits if you don't have to look at the keyboard. I always set up my shortcut keys so that they are usable by my left hand without looking and my right hand never leaves the mouse. (the mouse typically has Enter mapped to a button)

I only map the most used commands for any given mode (sketch, part, assy), adding commands as I notice I'm repeating them often.

I'm looking forward to being able to set my own shortcuts. Meanwhile I can use a programmable keypad.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Yes, learning a few keyboard shortcuts allows you to fly through a design.

The only one that I would redefine is isometric (shift 7), I use this one a lot and yet it's the hardest one to hit.

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @LouGallo‌ Thanks for sharing the list and the way to get to it in Onshape. I see there is a zoom to fit command (f). Any thoughts on making this map to the double middle mouse click? I use this all the time in SolidWorks, DraftSight, and AutoCAD.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @PDY‌ It might come as an option in the future. I don't have a middle mouse click on my mouse! Anyway you can also right click Zoom to fit...
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I use N & F a lot, but I forgot about the shortcuts for the dimensions & constraints! Sweet.

BTW, there is a little bug when you click open the keyboard shortcuts... it shows the shortcuts for the drawings for a quick second! :smiley: 

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Easy Fix for that one, unlock drawings..  ;)
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Spacebar to clear selection is one that I use all the time.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    @FastwayJim‌ - we fixed the temp display of drawing keys.  You'll see them soon..... promise.

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Haha! I chuckled when I saw that, @SteveHess... Can't wait!
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited December 2014
    SteveHess said:
    @FastwayJim‌ - we fixed the temp display of drawing keys.  You'll see them soon..... promise.

What about as a Christmas gift?
     ;) 

(*) Btw, best wishes to all of you! (*)

Dries
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    And to all of you.   It's been a great year and looking forward to rocking the CAD world in 2015.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Franz_Eric_SchneiderFranz_Eric_Schneider Member Posts: 1
    It will be great when shortcuts are changeable. There's some things I do a lot that wish were a shortcut, in this case toggle construction lines.
  • adrian_traceadrian_trace Member Posts: 5
    Changeable shortcuts will only help me if the process allows shortcuts to be set for those that are currently omitted.

I have set a virtual  keyboard using an ipad app called Keypad. It links up to VNC server running on my PC ( Apple and Linux supported). See http://keypad.iosproapps.com/
    and https://www.realvnc.com/

I have set up a multi screen arrangement which seams to work nicely except for the missing shortcuts!
    I'm happy so share this configuration but it is not complete yet so it might be better to lobby for more shortcuts first!.
    Here are some screen shots. I have included all icons but not all are active.
    The top row are the page selectors. Haven't decided what to do with feature script yet.
    I hope I haven't upset any copyright. Let me know what you think.