Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Possible to use Named Views from Part Studio in Drawings?

David_CADSessionsDavid_CADSessions Member Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
I'd like to get a custom angle/orientation of a part in my drawings. I created a Named View in Part Studio, but it doesn't show up as an option when inserting Drawing Views in the drawing.

Am I missing something or feature is missing?

Thanks.
Check out my Onshape tutorials  :)

Best Answer

Answers

• David_CADSessionsDavid_CADSessions Member Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks. Looks like it's already been added as an improvement request here.

Check out my Onshape tutorials  :)

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Here is a work around I have made up that has been useful for patent drawing views: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b63f9e9c92367c69d7ace604/w/c1f9e7131e97be091137c835/e/d0e62c5c65e6e4c298bf390c
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• lloyd_snelllloyd_snell Member Posts: 23 PRO
    Could you explain to me how this is supposed to work? Is this something I add to my part studio and then what?
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @lloyd_snell You use the block and subsequent mate connectors to Transform by Mate Connector the part. this will essentially rotate/manipulate it to a specified angle or view so that when you view from top, right, bottom, left it will be at an off angle from what you specify with the mate connectors. Remember this is still limited and is not a complete solution
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I'd like to get a custom angle/orientation of a part in my drawings. I created a Named View in Part Studio
    How do you get a 'Named view' please?
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @bruce_williams I still don't think you can get a named view into a drawing. I tend to use the rotate view and the project to get part in the correct orientation. 

I don't tend to use the named views at all, maybe I would if they could be transferred to drawings.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    We are looking into multiple ways to let you specify a custom orientation when creating drawing views.  We're aware that right now it can be difficult or impossible to get the orientation you want without transforming the part, and that it's important for us to give you at least one easy way to get a custom orientation in the near-term, and probably more than one way longer term.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @jon_mcintyre  I think it could also be helpful if the named view's remember the hide and show properties too, this may be a way to get the desired view of a part with bits removed. 
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @jon_mcintyre  I think it could also be helpful if the named view's remember the hide and show properties too, this may be a way to get the desired view of a part with bits removed. 
    @brucebartlett  Excellent suggestion.  I might add that this will be useful for initial drawing view creation, but we may have eventual options within a view on a drawing to hide/show parts regardless of the view state of the part studio.  This would keep drawing views stable and robust regardless of your teamates changing view states in the part studio that the drawing is pointing to.  
    @PeteYodis both method would be handy. Ideally, as you have highlighted there needs to be protection built in so that drawings are not messed up with a change of view state settings, it may be better just to have control for hide and show from the drawing side for setting up of drawings, completely separate to the settings in part studio or assembly.