Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Export as colored STL

Is there a way to export onshape models to a collered STL so it is easy to use as starting point for openFOAM CFD?
Can you do this within onshape or is there an app that can do this?

Thanks in advance
Tagged:

Comments

• shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    We can export Onshape model to STL but not sure what exactly collered STL means. But anyways for performing operations in STL file there is one app in App Store known as STL workbench. Here is the link of the thread for details.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4068/stlworkbench-ability-to-import-view-edit-and-save-stl-files-in-onshape#latest
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Simscale uses Openfoam as a CFD solver, and it has a direct link to Onshape, so you don't need to use an STL file to import into snappymesh. It's very quick and easy.
  • pieter_van_driesschepieter_van_driessche Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies. I know about Simscale, but I want to be able to use self developed solvers, which is not possible with Simscale.

I will have a look at the STL workbench. 
  • ben_masefieldben_masefield Member, Developers Posts: 8
    You could also look into InStep... the FE version allows you to take an Onshape document and download it directly into InStep. In the FE version, you can then save the file as a NASTRAN surface mesh... the mesh is a 1:1 of the STL tesselation, so changing the import parameters will allow you to modify this to some extent (kind of like a poor-man's surface mesher). This is a bit of an advanced topic, so I suggest you give it a try using the free version and contact support (support@solveering.com) if you run into issues (after reading the help files online). Feel free to post questions/solutions here too though ...