Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet Metal Update

I know it's already a requested feature, but after seeing the flattening application, I was left wondering.  Are sheet metal features still a priority?  The flattening tool kind of works... but doesn't allow for bend tolerances.

Comments

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Are sheet metal features still a priority?
    Yes.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Are sheet metal features still a priority?
    Yes.
    Great Answer Jake,
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @robin_mccaffrey
    If you meant ExactFlat - it is not designed to handle sheet metal cases at all. It is solving a different problem. I can see it being used to generate patterns for plushy toys.

• seth_roskoseth_rosko Member Posts: 11 PRO
    I also work with sheet metal and would love to see an 'UNROLL' feature as well as a 'FLATTEN' feature. These tools are essential for this type of work. For OnShape to offer the ability to create a 3d shape then deconstruct it to be cut from sheet and then formed would really make this format my got-to product.
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    @philip_thomas working tirelessly? then ratther than :).....it should be :s
  • Pavel_7Pavel_7 Member Posts: 3
    Yes please sheet metal is essential, thank you
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to Onshape sheet metal. Can't wait to dive in!
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• c_a_moorec_a_moore Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Joining the chorus: sheet metal=yes!
  • seth_roskoseth_rosko Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Just making sure this stays at the top.... SHEET METAL ASAP!
  • bertrand_van_der_berg451bertrand_van_der_berg451 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, please! Sheet metal and development to flat.
  • igino_cafieroigino_cafiero Member Posts: 1
    LOVE OS; can't wait for sheet metal =)
  • sabbir_mehtasabbir_mehta Member Posts: 1
    Great CAD package but sadly missing a major limb- Sheet metal and development to flat
  • walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    will sheet metal be add  on at a cost

• colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @walter  I don't work for or speak on behalf of onshape....however I do not expect sheet metal to be an add on at an additional cost.  
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Well, it was back February when i posted my earlier comment about 'trust me, we are working on it'.
    As with all things 'Onshape', this is the very reason we dont publish a timetable. For many of us, this is not our first CAD system and there is both a lot of work involved in 'can we make it better?' from a workflow standpoint, as well as significant effort to write the foundational underpinnings. These changes are so profound, that these underpinnings have been introduced to production Onshape already, just to support the development of sheet metal (the fact that you haven't noticed them is a testament to the skill of the developers). I am taking the time to write this just to let you know that the work invested to date has been significant and we appreciate your patience. I have used it on the production stack (we can turn any bit of functionality on or off for any group of people - we use this to roll out new functionality to groups of testers), and its good! For those of you that have seen us through these big projects before, you know that it will be released when it's ready. With regards to the question about SM being a paid module, all i can say is that today there is no difference between the free and the pro plan (in terms of cad functionality), and it certainly would be nice (and simpler!) if it stayed that way! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape