Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape Beta Coming Monday!

jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91

This Monday March 9, we will be removing the confidentiality requirements and formally releasing Onshape Beta!  We will also be adding lots of great new pages to our website: videos, a product tour, live webinar schedules, lists of partners, etc. We will also be making this Forum public (though only Onshape account holders can post).

We can’t thank all of you enough for all the feedback, advice, support, and enthusiasm you have given us.  But most of all: thanks for designing products in Onshape. The many success stories you have shared are the most gratifying things that have happened to us.

We’ll still be in Beta, working hard to add more and more features and functions as fast as we can.  As we always like to say, it’s still just the beginning.

Jon

Comments

• kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    So this means we can talk about it now? I have about 10 customers lined up to try it.
  • dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    On March 9 - that is correct.  There will be new terms of service that will not include confidentiality requirements.  You will see and can agree to them when Beta is released around midday US eastern time.
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Best of luck with the public launch!
    I think this is going to be a rocket...

Dries
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention a critical saturation test of the infrastructure!
  • spiked3spiked3 Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015
    Jon et al,
    Thanks for the leadership. While I drool waiting for a product I can use in production as soon as possible, I drool even more for the Agile/Scrum experiences book from you development department.
    Mike Partain aka Spiked3
    http://www.spiked3.com
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    @Spiked3 Yes it is very cool to watch our R&D team work using Agile.  Very different than the way traditional CAD was built.  Dave Corcoran and the team have done an awesome job building a product that is not like anything anyone has ever built before.
    @Dries Thank you!  Sure hope it is a rocket.  Having you in our community, and our other awesome users, is going to be key to getting the next wave of users to understand and be successful with us.  Functionality is great but technique and understanding are also so important.
    @Kevin Quigley Yes we are ready with our global Onshape cloud!  Looking forward to seeing you at DEVELOP3D Live.
  • chris_aicherchris_aicher OS Professional, User Group Leader Posts: 23 PRO
    This is going to be really cool.
    Are there any plans of some sort of kick-off shebang here in the US (kind like SW World)?
    I'd love to attend...
    Chris Aicher
    aicher@battleaxe.com
    Tigard, OR
    @Chris Aicher I am thinking about organizing a small gathering of some of our top early users here in Boston for later this year.
    edited March 2015
    @Chris Aicher I am thinking about organizing a small gathering of some of our top early users here in Boston for later this year.
    I've always wanted to go to Boston... *wink* *wink*  ;);)  Hahaha!

Dries
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Hands down Boston is my favorite city in the USA. 
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    The new website looks very professional and inviting. Makes me want to signup and start using Onshape. 

Wow! The videos are extremely slick...

Dries
    edited March 2015
    Just watched the intro (teaser?) video on drawings...
    OMG, I think I might have wet my pants in excitement. Think about the possibilities for design reviews by QA etc.!

No sharing back and forth of commented PDF prints. Just share the friggin Onshape doc...

When, just when, will we get access?? Sorry, getting too excited here... :)

Dries
  • julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    I watched it, too, and couldn't help but notice the "Create Application" and "Create Tutorial" options that are available in the plus menu, and the "Change URL" option in the right-click menu for the drawing tab. Hmmm...
    I watched it, too, and couldn't help but notice the "Create Application" and "Create Tutorial" options that are available in the plus menu, and the "Change URL" option in the right-click menu for the drawing tab. Hmmm...
    True. Hugely tantalizing...

Dries
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I also caught a quick screenshot of SW in the video, just before the narrator says "Traditional CAD gets in the way". HAH! (0:30 mark)
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jon to you and your team. I look forward to using OS professionally in the near future (I hope) and not having to deal with WPDM, GrabCAD or DropBox!

Must be a happy day - Celebrate

mark
  • jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    Would just like to add my congratulations and thanks to the team for a great piece of work. 

Regards

Jon
    @Mark Biasotti Thank you Mark!  We will be delighted when we are able to earn your usage for your pro work.  It's been busy here but we did take a moment to celebrate.  Then it was and is back to work to keep building more and more for you.  Next release coming soon.

Again thanks for all of your support, praise and constructive criticism.

Jon
  • daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I started playing around with OS since the Beta was released and my jaw has been on the floor since. I can remember when SW first appeared and changed the game, but OS is going to be order of magnitudes bigger than that, its also going to be wonderful watching the world change because of this.
    Well done everyone at Onshape, especially Jon Hirschtick, I doff my hat to you Sir.
    Regards
    Daryn         
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited March 2015
    I watched videos while waiting for account activation, then I got email during holiday trip. I though Ipad would be only enough for viewing but I actually created my first model with Ipad!! It's not bad at all - for being the trailblazer it is just amazing.
    Back to work with computer and continue seemlesly the model started with Ipad - can you even ask for more? You can and should, because world stops if we don't ask for more.
    Since Alibre was moved inside Geomagic cube where users are not allowed, I've been waiting for new solid modeler where development actually interacts with it's userbase. I just couldn't even dream of finding reasonable priced 3d cad actually working in web browser. I'm really excited to see and experience OS growing and taking over the world (and my work).
    Thanks for all the hard work showing completely new direction for the cad industry.

//rami
  • rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    3dcad said:
    I watched videos while waiting for account activation, then I got email during holiday trip. I though Ipad would be only enough for viewing but I actually created my first model with Ipad!! It's not bad at all - for being the trailblazer it is just amazing.
    Back to work with computer and continue seemlesly the model started with Ipad - can you even ask for more? You can and should, because world stops if we don't ask for more.
    Since Alibre was moved inside Geomagic cube where users are not allowed, I've been waiting for new solid modeler where development actually interacts with it's userbase. I just couldn't even dream of finding reasonable priced 3d cad actually working in web browser. I'm really excited to see and experience OS growing and taking over the world (and my work).
    Thanks for all the hard work showing completely new direction for the cad industry.

Thanks for trying out the iOS App! I'm glad you're enjoying your exploration of Onshape on iOS so far.
    Feel free to give us any Feedback with the iOS App!