Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How would I make a hole-driven pattern?

adam_gearyadam_geary Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
I've looked all over and can't find anyone talking about this, so maybe I haven't found the right search terms.  Basically, my work typically has many, many holes each of which gets an identical set of fasteners or some other features added.  Back in good old saladworks, I'd use either a sketch-driven pattern to do both the hole pattern and the sketch-driven feature pattern.  In assemblies I'd use a feature-driven pattern to array a single fastener arrangement (nut, bolt, washers) to every hole of one type.

Is there no way to do that yet in Onshape or am I missing something?  I have only just started using OS this week, so I'm hoping it's the latter.

Best Answer

Answers

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @adam_geary, Please refer below webinar link which will be helpful to you.
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/webinar-patterns-in-onshape-june-28th-2016

• adam_gearyadam_geary Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    Thanks a lot, @viru !  This looks exactly like what I need, but I have been unable to get it to work and I believe I am doing it exactly as shown in your example with the red bolt.  I'll keep trying until I figure it out and post what I was doing wrong.
    Okay, thanks again @viru , I think I understand what's happening now and it may be a bug or at least undesired behavior. 

I have a spacer to be replicated between two plates and I had mated the spacer to plate 1, then mated plate 2 onto the spacer.  I then attempted to replicate the spacer based upon the mate to the face of plate 1, but it would not work or give any kind of error I could see.  Upon removing the mate to plate 2, it now works and I can replicate the spacer, then remake the mate to plate 2.

I have another problem with this, however.  I cannot replicate a group of fasteners in this arrangement because the fasteners are on opposite sides of these plates and are not internally mated.  Now I must run three separate replications, one for each the spacers, screws, and nuts.  That's annoying, but acceptable.

I must say I am very happy that I can select multiple faces to match upon.  Plate 2 in my case is actually 8 separate plates which are coplanar, and I was able to select them all with one replicate command to add screws everywhere.  Very handy!
    edited December 2016
    @adam_geary, You can replicate group of fasteners when seed instances may have only one external mate; that is, there can be only one mate to the entity onto which to replicate the seed instances.
    Note:- You have to define other side fastner constraint with respect to other mated fastner.
    Please refer below video for more detail.

I discovered that was a problem, @viru .   The problem is it is extremely common to have a nut and washer on the opposite side of the hole which must be replicated with the bolt.  Are you saying this is not currently possible?
    @adam_geary, Currently user can include all fastner which have a nut and washer on the opposite side of the hole which must be replicated with the bolt. For that You have to define other side fastner constraint with respect to other mated fastner. So not necessary to create replicate feature for individual fastner. Please refer below video for more detail.

Thanks, @viru; your gifs are quite impressive.  I understand now.  Do you have a source video for this last gif?  I'd like to see how all fasteners were mated relative to each other.  I don't understand how one would easily mate fasteners on the other side if not to the face of the flange.
    edited December 2016
    @adam_geary, Actually I have created gif file only for your problem. Now I am preparing new gif file for you so you can able to see how all fasteners were mated relative to each other. Please refer below video for more detail

Oh wow, that's amazing!  These have been very helpful.  Thanks again, and keep up the great work!