Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D Text and Cut threads

labernlabern Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
Hi
Got some feature requests to add text that can be placed on the models and extruded or cut. just simple fonts for labels and part numbers etc. and ability to create cut threads into cylinders or holes. similar to creating a helix but with the ability to enter thread dimensions which it then cuts or extrudes.
Tagged:

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes text needs to be added into the sketcher. I missed doing a job today that needed text, I had switch back to SW to do this one.  I also want a way to get 2d vector based geometry on the sketcher this could be a workaround for text but also needed for other jobs i often do. 

Hopefully at some stage there will a hole wizard tool like tool, could be a way off but hopefully not. When drawings come there will need to be a way to do cosmetic thread to show the edge. I have tried adding helix to bolts, at the time the idea was to check thread length in assemblies bit of work but can be done.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/516b1784884d4facbc4c0d74/w/8e947edb43904354bb16b3f2/e/589eaf71321043e28046aac0 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    Thanks for the feedback about sketch text.

You mentioned 'simple fonts' but are there any specific fonts that you would want Onshape to support?
    Also, how would you want to define the size of the text?
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @Andy_Morris A text or selection of them that are suitable for machining.  I don't know exactly what that is, but I do know that a lot of fonts are not designed to be CAM and machine tool friendly.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2015
    There needs to be a selection of std fonts like Arial, Times New Roman (I would be wrapped if you could get all the fonts on Google doc's into Onshape). You also need some manufacturing specific fonts like a single line font @Pete Yodis mentioned for cnc machinists and a stencilling font for profile cutters. I actually made my own font for cutting into laser cut parts, saves heaps of time rather than manually joining with extrudes the bits that fall out. Happy to share if you want.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @Lance - I've added you to the improvement request for sketch text.  Can you expand a bit more on your workflow for the threaded features and what you're using them for?
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • ricky_jordanricky_jordan Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    One thing I would like to see with sketch text is a reference point at the horizontal/vertical center of the sketch text field that we can apply sketch constraints or dimensions to.
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Can you expand a bit more on your workflow for the threaded features and what you're using them for?
    My 2cts on this:

threaded features are very helpful for 3D printing.
    Usually I don't model threads in parts. I simply annotate on the model or drawing.
    However, if those parts are to be prototyped through 3D printing, then modeled threads are obviously required. Creating threads through sweeps is kind of a pain.

Dries
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Regarding text, it appears to me there is a case here for cross company licensing for cloud delivery at point of use for Webfont typefaces. Think Adobe Toolkit. Essentially, any font is available for mock ups and document level or online, with added licensing options.

this way, you have access to any typeface in the library, not just locally installed ones. As far as I am aware, nobody in MCAD taps into this yet.

for features like threads, lets be totally frank here. Users do not want to be modelling threads. They want to pick a face, say apply M6x1 thread. Done. For moulded threads there is no reason why this cannot be automated as well. Sketch the custom profile (or pick from a library of recommended plastic thread profile. Pick the face, apply pitch, lead in and out parameters, done. VX had this very tool 15 yrs ago. I still miss it.

the same thinking needs to apply to all common 'features'. As a designer, Im intersted in spending time designing and thinking, not about modelling repetitive features or trawling through libraries of parts to look at best practise design for joints, fastening, bosses etc. 

so far, I have not seen any CAD system that delivers this type of thing with reliability, speed and range of options. There is an opportunity there and I can't help think some of this stuff would be easier to implement than advanced surfacing features, which lets be honest here, is not going to see light of day any time soon is it.
  • labernlabern Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    @Lance - I've added you to the improvement request for sketch text.  Can you expand a bit more on your workflow for the threaded features and what you're using them for?
    Hi, I regularly protype using 3D printing and the threads need to be modeled. I have used Autocad Fusion 360 where you draw a cylinder, say 12mm Dia. then select thread icon, select the cylinder face. it will auto identify that its 12mm Dia and M12 will be shown but can be changed, A popup window allows you to select the pitch and you can either have it rendered or modeled. 
    This is simple and fast for the user. 

Thanks for the feedback about sketch text.

You mentioned 'simple fonts' but are there any specific fonts that you would want Onshape to support?
    Also, how would you want to define the size of the text?
    Arial and Arial rounded would be good. the more it can support the better. As mentioned above, ones that are CNC, lazer cut friendly. but for people that 3D print then all fonts are welcome.

I have never worked with the perfect sizing solution for modeling text. So i cant really give a good answer on that. But if you a initially able to enter the height, which would be the height of a  capital letter. but then have constraints that you can alter after placement would be good.
  • bobtbobt Onshape Employees Posts: 7
    Kevin, please keep beating the drum about design oriented features instead of primitive features. We need more user requests for this so it gets proper attention. Personally I hate making screw bosses, webs and sprues for molded parts - very tedious.

We should split this thread so we can discuss text and thread/design features separately.
  • bobtbobt Onshape Employees Posts: 7
    Ricky Jordan - Our current plans are to allow you to constrain the text baseline, ascent line (top of capitals), left, horizontal center, and right sides. First iteration will preserve aspect ratio, possible later iteration to allow changes to aspect ratio. We had not planed to allow constraining the vertical center. How important is this? Should the center be baseline <-> ascent line or descent line <-> ascent line?

We currently plan to size the text using dimensions/constraints only.
    edited March 2015
    BobT said:
    Ricky Jordan - Our current plans are to allow you to constrain the text baseline, ascent line (top of capitals), left, horizontal center, and right sides. First iteration will preserve aspect ratio, possible later iteration to allow changes to aspect ratio. We had not planed to allow constraining the vertical center. How important is this? Should the center be baseline <-> ascent line or descent line <-> ascent line?

We currently plan to size the text using dimensions/constraints only.
    @BobTa centre constraint  would suit me for more than half of the text I do I find I edit text the have to jungle position to get it central to part. 

Ideally I want chose a point then chose Left Justified, Right Justified or Centre. Less important but handy would be top, bottom,centre. I have always struggled with text positioning in other CAD, I find it a bit clumsy.
    Text location is generally done related to other features so for me the most useful text tool would be to automatically add a rectangular bounding box around the text, so I can then dimension to the bounding box to locate it with precision. If I could then dimension the bounding box and so scale the text inside it that would be a huge timesaver.

• fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    ... for me the most useful text tool would be to automatically add a rectangular bounding box around the text, so I can then dimension to the bounding box to locate it with precision. If I could then dimension the bounding box and so scale the text inside it that would be a huge timesaver.
    That is a great idea!
    Its what we already do in SolidWorks...draw a rectangle and constrain to the text boundaries. 
  • ricky_jordanricky_jordan Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    @BobT  - A large majority of items we use sketch text for requires centering the text horizontally below a feature so that the horizontal center of the text aligns vertically with the center of the feature.  (Common one is connector cutouts in a panel with text engravings added below the connector.)  

If you were to include a centered bounding box around the text that could have sketch constraints applied to it, I believe that would also fill the requirement.  

I absolutely agree with @BruceBartlett that placing text has always been a bit clumsy in existing systems. 

-Ricky
    edited March 2015
    Just learnt a new trick in Solidworks, draw the line where you want your text and select Left Justified, Right Justified, Centre or Full Justified, ideal to centre text. I've always struggled with positioning to the left start point with dimensions and juggling to find the centre. 

BTW, if I had text in Onshape I would chosen it for this little job rather than Solidworks. It's a laser cut name plate.
  • james_50james_50 Member Posts: 1
    With text it would be nice to see a wrap capability to put the text on surfaces that are not flat, either projected from a plane on to the curved surface or better yet be able to pick the surface and enter it directly.

As far as text selection the more options the better as each customer has there own likes and dislikes. As one previous post said he made his own so maybe the option to download your font into the design and use it???  
  • kirk_2kirk_2 Member Posts: 34
    My CAM program allows Truetype fonts to be entered and sized, then converted to polylines.  Used mainly for 2D engraving, but it only allows the text to be in straight lines.  Being a relative novice here and not having done text in SW, I'm curious as to how it's used in modeling.  Is it a matter of getting text to appear on the models vs. actually used in machining?  Obviously TT fonts, being closed could be used in extrudes.
    Kirk said:
    My CAM program allows Truetype fonts to be entered and sized, then converted to polylines.  Used mainly for 2D engraving, but it only allows the text to be in straight lines.  Being a relative novice here and not having done text in SW, I'm curious as to how it's used in modeling.  Is it a matter of getting text to appear on the models vs. actually used in machining?  Obviously TT fonts, being closed could be used in extrudes.
    I don't think you can you use true type fronts from your computer with a cloud based package like Onshape therefore we will be reliant on what has been uploaded by the developers, (@BobT please correct me if I am wrong). 
  • kirk_2kirk_2 Member Posts: 34
    Kirk said:
    I don't think you can you use true type fronts from your computer with a cloud based package like Onshape therefore we will be reliant on what has been uploaded by the developers, (@BobT please correct me if I am wrong). 
    Good point!  But I think I can use my PC software to convert the TT text to polylines and then a DXF, and hopefully upload the result into a sketch.  OTOH, I can just wait to paste it into the OS-generated DXF.
    sorry @Kirk , can get .dxf 's out but not in YET
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Kirk said:
    A font that lives on your computer can't be used to generate the sketch text.  However, there is nothing preventing the font from living in the document in theory.  Part of the vision of doing things in a single document is that all things required could live in the same place be it parts, assemblies, documentation, or even a font.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • berneberne Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Quick note on Threads... I want my models to look accurate so I typically model the thread using a helix and a cut sweep. My work is in orthopaedics and often bone screws have a non-uniform thread profile. A simple standard thread would be helpful but would certainly not solve all of my problems....

As far as text modeling... very much needed. Often needed for machining on cylindrical surfaces. If images can be placed on the plane and sketched over then most anything can be done.  I have clients in the woodworking industry that want me to machine brands for them so they can burn their logo into their projects... can supply pics if anyone wants to see the finished product....
  • SethSeth Member Posts: 1
    Just a +1 on text needs. Needed it today for a work project.
  • Steve TrambertSteve Trambert Member Posts: 5
    Another +1 for sketch text here.  I often use it when designing printed parts, since there's no cost to complexity.
  • doncrushdoncrush Member Posts: 1
    +1 on 3d text...
  • lowjacklowjack Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    +1 here for text as well. We always have to have text labeling molded into our products per ASTM standards, so it's a must to have it modeled into our molds.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for text, not critical for me but pretty much standard stuff
    //rami