Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

pdf export file size

michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
I just noticed that my recent drawings exported as pdf's have a file size of about 5mb, whereas earlier exports  to pdf from just a month ago or so were significantly smaller, averaging below 500kb.  Any idea what's up with that?  Seems excessive for simple line drawings.  Is there a setting to lower the export file size? 
Tagged:

Best Answers

• rachel_ardenrachel_arden Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To resurrect a dead thread.

We've noticed our pdf files are unusually large, over a MB, but when I checked the settings on export the text was set to 'normal' not 'selectable'. 

When I exported one drawing with normal text setting it was 1206KB but with selectable text instead the file size was a more reasonable 74KB. This seems, from Pete's comment, the wrong way round for the size difference to be.  

Going forward I'm just going to pick selectable so it's not an issue I just wondered if the reason behind the large file sizes had changed?

Answers

• michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
    Thanks Viru.  I will do that.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    This is something we are looking into. Seems to have to do with certain fonts used in the drawing.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Thank you Pete.  I will look forward to that option!  -Michael
  • rachel_ardenrachel_arden Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To resurrect a dead thread.

We've noticed our pdf files are unusually large, over a MB, but when I checked the settings on export the text was set to 'normal' not 'selectable'. 

When I exported one drawing with normal text setting it was 1206KB but with selectable text instead the file size was a more reasonable 74KB. This seems, from Pete's comment, the wrong way round for the size difference to be.  

Going forward I'm just going to pick selectable so it's not an issue I just wondered if the reason behind the large file sizes had changed?
    Hi Rachel, hi Neil,

Oh yeah, that makes a huge difference.  It converted the pdf I made yesterday from 1,800Kb to 72kb, and the text appears much smoother on screen with selectable text.  Thank you!