Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Colour in Drawings

daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
How long before Onshape has the option of using colour images in drawings?
Lots of CAD packages give the option of presenting drawing views in colour, potential clients are asking for this so hence the question.    

Comments

• john_mcculloughjohn_mccullough Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 38
    Daryn, this has been discussed and requested by another user. I'll add you to the request. 
  • magda_oziębłowskamagda_oziębłowska Member Posts: 4
    I wish to add my request of colours in drawings. It will be most useful for me and other users.
  • brian_ruppbrian_rupp OS Professional Posts: 13 PRO
    Same here.  Being able to have the part tree in the drawing to select parts individually and change the color is a huge step in the right direction for me to fully implement the software in the sales side of things at my company.
  • bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    @daryntaylor, @magda_oziębłowska, @brian_rupp - When you say "colour in drawings", do you mean the ability to create shaded views, with the views showing colors (same colors as in the part studio or assembly)?  Or do you mean being able to change the color of annotations - notes, GD&T, tables, balloons?  If you need both, which is more important?  Thanks.

Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Yes please colour rendered drawings make a huge difference when talking to non-CAD clients, they have much more impact and help to explain what is what.
  • brian_jobmannbrian_jobmann Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Yes, I agree. Shaded color parts in drawings. They are all ready in the Parts Studios/Assemblies. Having them on the drawings would be helpful for customers.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    Yes, I agree. Shaded color parts in drawings. They are all ready in the Parts Studios/Assemblies. Having them on the drawings would be helpful for customers.
    Yes, that would be really helpful for customers.... ;)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @PeteYodis can you get in early tomorrow and start work on that?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @NeilCooke The team got to work bright and early this morning....
  • daniel_clarke997daniel_clarke997 Member Posts: 2 PRO
    not much use for me personally until coloring faces or adding decals is a feature  :|
  • CasparCaspar Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I would LOVE to see this too. The Shaper Origin requires colour coded fill .stl drawings to indicate external / pocket cuts. Now that export of .stl files is possible (thank you!) it feels so tantalisingly close! 'Edit face appearance' is already very user friendly within the part studio, is there currently a way of showing these face colours in the drawing view that I'm missing? I know a whole community of Shaper origin users who would sell their firstborn for the ability to export directly to their machines without having to resort to the fraught process of processing them through illustrator / inkskape.
    @Caspar - right-click the drawing view and "show shaded" - does that do what you want?
    Thanks @NeilCooke

I'm only able to see shaded default light blue? Is there a way to show the colours I assigned to the model faces in the part studio?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ead9b2324947daf34888d974/w/53c5437ed895b23c91c4ed95/e/351b9d194cac403df9ac911d
    Try clicking the update button  :)

Oh god! Thankyou!  :#
  • mikaiavalmikaiaval Member Posts: 3
    Hello guys following
    I think I am not able to change a view to shaded. When I right-click on view, there is no option on changing it into shaded. Any help please?
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    @mikaiaval
    Shaded View is in the Show/Hide flyout. 
  • mikaiavalmikaiaval Member Posts: 3
    Thank you @wayne_sauder
  • UppsalaUppsala Member Posts: 5
    Hi team, I am doing assembly drawings and the shadow caused by the "top-down light" is causing issues due to the shading. This shading may cause confusion as the part represents a coating (which should have the same colour). It would be fantastic if there was a "diffuse light" setting to keep parts with the same colour (i.e. no shading). 
    In the image below the circled part is set as white (255,255,255) in the colour editor yet the image below appears to be two-tone.
    This may cause confusion to the coating applicators