Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Some notes to help improve your Onshape experience

joe_sullivanjoe_sullivan OS Professional Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Using Onshape
I use Onshape professionally (a lot of the documents I work with are in the 1-2GB range) and after using Onshape for awhile I compiled a small list of notes to help improve your Onshape experience:
  • Your video card makes a big difference with rendering and interacting with your models. I used to have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 in my work station and using Onshape's compatibility check (https://cad.onshape.com/check) I would be able to measure 26.8 million triangles per second and 9.4 million lines per second. With that video card I would also experience significant lag when working with large models. I recently upgraded my video card to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and now using the compatibility check I am able to measure 349.3+ million triangles per second and 283.4+ million lines per second and experience almost no lag in large models.
  • Use a 64-bit browser. 32-bit applications do not have the same access to your RAM as 64-bit applications. So you may have 16 GB of RAM on your computer but if you use a 32-bit application your browser will only have access to 2 GB of RAM. Firefox does not have a 64-bit stable release, but chrome does (I don't know about safari or opera). To check if you have a 64-bit version of Chrome go to settings -> about, if the version is followed by 64-bit you are good, if not you have the 32-bit distribution.
  • Your internet speed will make a difference in model load times, how fast adding or modifying features respond, and how fast your models rebuild.
I hope that this is helpful to someone!

Tagged:

Comments

• Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Your second point; I wonder if that's why chorme seems to work bettter for me on my home computer?  FF seems to dog down but chrome is smooth.
  • joe_sullivanjoe_sullivan OS Professional Posts: 4 ✭✭
    @tony_castongia it could! When I switched from 32-bit chrome to 64-bit I noticed a pretty good improvement -- especially in drawings. 
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Inserting parts from other documents is fast too. They load about 150% faster.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Wow, that 32 --> 64bit chrome made signifigant difference in handling large assemblies with laptop. Thanks @joe_sullivan !
    //rami
  • RKRK OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    @joe_sullivan Thank you very much for sharing this valuable info.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Joe, great post. I see you mention internet speed which obviously can have a major impact. I don't normally check unless I have a problem but my feeling is that once my speed goes below about 8Mbps large assemblies and model rebuild starts to slow. I find you can still use Onshape down to about 4Mbps but you have to be patient. 

What are other people finding with internet speed? 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    As a relative newcomer to Onshape and 3D CAD I have to say that I'm pleased I hadn't seen this recommendation or I might not have started down this route. In this neck of the woods 8Mbps is an unimagined luxury; I regularly enjoy <4Mbps and still find Onshape renews faster than I can draw. For me the initial download of documents is a bit slow but thereafter, for now with relatively small documents, this speed seems adequate.
    I've been succesfully working with 3G but only with simple sketching / part modeling or so..
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    As a relative newcomer to Onshape and 3D CAD I have to say that I'm pleased I hadn't seen this recommendation or I might not have started down this route. In this neck of the woods 8Mbps is an unimagined luxury; I regularly enjoy <4Mbps and still find Onshape renews faster than I can draw. For me the initial download of documents is a bit slow but thereafter, for now with relatively small documents, this speed seems adequate.
    Hi Brian,  It's great that you can use Onshape below 4Mbps, I am sure I have regularly used it with speed's below 4 as well. I remember while traveling I did a lot of work paired to a 3g network with only 2bar's of service which I think was down around 2Mbps, in this case just I just had to wait for models to load not get into big assemblies.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    I'm not very happy with load times in office though, I still need to wait for bigger model to load quite a while.

//rami