Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can one move a part from one part studio to another within a document.

jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
I am currently looking a remodelling a complete product in OS.  I have all the parts and assemblies already modelled in SW and I think I can remodel it in OS with its current toolset. When I upload the SW STEP file they go into a new Part Studio which is fine.  I would like to 'copy and paste' the chosen parts into a 'Part Studio' that I am creating from scratch.  These pasted parts will act as the 'visual template' as I remodel them in OS from scratch and make Part Studios for each assembly that best use OS structures. I can't seem to do this.  I could I suppose use the STEP part studio and then delete the imported parts.  I think I have answered my question as a way to do it .   Am I approaching this from the wrong angle?  

However - is 'copy and paste' of parts from studio to studio a feature that is possible and worth having?  I can imagine there will occasions when a lot of work has been done in a 'part studio' - driving sketches, parts etc  and then there is a need to 'import' some outside data to assist in further modelling or defining new parts in the parts studio. How can this be achieved? 

The reason for doing this is the product is made offsite and I think the manufacturer and I will solve alot of our communication problems using OS for this product rather than SW ( which is really beyond their skills, budget and patience ;-) ) so I think its worth remodelling from scratch rather than just using the STEP assembly import.

Regards

Jon

Best Answers

Answers

• jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    Thanks Traveler.  I think I'll just crack on. Useful having 2 browsers open and using the instant measure tool.
  • jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    @Bill - thanks for the comprehensive reply.  Just quickly wanted to say thanks and I'll now digest all you've written and links.  Not got so far into my model to prevent me junking swapping to your technique once I get the gist of it.  So used to using SW its takes a brain ache to break into another way of working.

Jon
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Traveler -

They're going to have to support partstudio into partstudio. What if I download a bolt and want to add it to a partstudio? They have to merge partstudios, sooner than later, hopefully sooner.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Jonathon-

I find OS to be a cleaned up version of SW. As far as creating geometry I prefer OS to SW. I don't this will take long for you to agree.

I'm interested in your assembly approach. This will take some thought.

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    bill said:
    Traveler -

They're going to have to support partstudio into partstudio. What if I download a bolt and want to add it to a partstudio? They have to merge partstudios, sooner than later, hopefully sooner.

I agree more or less... It's a matter of terminology, and I wish Onshape would publish a glossary so that we could talk consistently about processes.

Each partstudio is a sequence of features that generates a group of parts. It's possible to create a part that has a clean feature history, one that does not depend on any features of the other parts, and thus it would be technically possible to copy this kind of part from one studio to another. I do hope that Onshape supports this (Your bolt for instance, with configurations for all the sizes I need, could be one of many 'seed' parts for a studio).   However, in general there are going to be multiple parts in a partstudio and extracting just one part for copying will not be possible in many cases.

In many cases inserting the geometry of a part via reference (which I expect to be available reasonably soon) will be the preferred way. If you import via reference then you are not repeating features; which reduces the places you need to look when coming into a project cold. 
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    billy2 said:
    Traveler -

I guess it's later, rather than sooner, then?;), cause this still is not possible right?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    This was written a long time ago, since then the derive function was introduced...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646